The Great ‘Recycle and Reuse’ Christmas Things Hunt

Comments

• Gorwel
    Gorwel Posts: 21 Forumite
    I helped at 2 Xmas parties for the elderly. While clearing up, I scavenged lots of 'motifs' off the front of used crackers, spare hats jokes,little toys etc to make into new crackers next year. One old lady shovelled all the table confetti into her bag to put in her cards next year!
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    papworth wrote: »
    The stamps should be removed from the bulk of the envelope, just leaving about 5cm around the edges. We don't want the whole envelope!

Are these the requirements of all charities that take used stamps? Leave 5cm round the edge?
  • :j :p Paper chains made out of old newspapers are very retro, might even start a new trend?
  • moorhen_2
    moorhen_2 Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Are these the requirements of all charities that take used stamps? Leave 5cm round the edge?

RNIB website asks for 1cm

Full instructions: http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/PublicWebsite/public_frstamps.hcsp
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    We had the same Christmas tree with roots on for about five years. In the end it was looking a bit threadbear, but once the decorations were on you couldn't tell. It would probably be a good idea to put it in a slightly larger pot in the spring and you must remember to water and feed it. May seem obvious, but that's why mine died this year. With all the rain I thought it would be okay, but the branches stop the water getting to the roots.
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • Try returning old christmas cards the following year by crossing out and rewriting the names - they're best given face to face so you can see their expressions.:huh: :undecided :D
  • Please don't hate me! My dear old mum stayed with us this Christmas, and insisted on buying a (gasp) disposable tablecloth! I tried to hide my horror and be polite, but would like some tips now please on how to get every last penn'orth of value out of it.

It's almost done as a nice tablecloth (small children have seen to that), so I was going to fold it away and bring it out every time we do painting/messy arty stuff. Is this the full extent of its possibilities, or are there other cunning ways this thing can be used?
    :TProud to be dealing with my debts :T
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Please don't hate me! My dear old mum stayed with us this Christmas, and insisted on buying a (gasp) disposable tablecloth! I tried to hide my horror and be polite, but would like some tips now please on how to get every last penn'orth of value out of it.

It's almost done as a nice tablecloth (small children have seen to that), so I was going to fold it away and bring it out every time we do painting/messy arty stuff. Is this the full extent of its possibilities, or are there other cunning ways this thing can be used?

Any nice condition areas could be used as wrapping paper next year.
  • I am still using the tree that my parents got (second-hand) when I was two (I am now 44). Decorations haven't lasted that long but are re-used as long as possible - the tradition in my household is to buy or acquire one new decoration each year. Newspaper is good for wrapping paper - add an appropriately coloured ribbon or bow.
  • weano_2
    weano_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    As my two boys have birthdays early in the year I used to keep all the wrapping paper for Pass The Parcel.

The fronts of Christmas cards are cut off and are used for shopping lists etc which are a lot harder to lose in your pocket or handbag.

When giving something in a gift or bottle bag I NEVER write on the attached swing card, particularly since a greetings card usually accompanies the present. This gives a positive signal to the recipient to use the bag again. I keep all gift bags and padded envelopes in a box - just cut off the swing tags, and stick a label over the original address.

When we give greetings card within the househld we never write on the envelope which can be reused in the future

Local council picks up catalogues, paper, cardboard etc at the kerbside every two weeks for recycling
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure