The Great ‘Recycle and Reuse’ Christmas Things Hunt

Comments

• dawn27
    dawn27 Posts: 314 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We buy christmas decorations very rarely and have had most of our decorations for years.
    However when we go on holiday especially if its later in the year, we tend to find lots of Christmas decorations in the shops. The exchange rate is usually so good it costs us next to nothing and reminds us of a great holiday as the dark evenings draw in.
  • airgead
    airgead Posts: 36 Forumite
    I had saved xmas stamps from several years and soaked them off the paper. Then I made Xmas cards with them. A plain white piece of card with a small coloured square in the centre, (recycled from something else, of course...). And then in the very centre, the stamp with the little miniature xmas scene. If you happen to have stamps going back a few years, revisiting stamps from years gone by gives an added twinge of nostalgia. Foreign ones are interesting too. I wouldn't do this every year, but if you like to make your own cards, its certainly different!
  • My OH insisted on a real tree last Xmas, which afterwards was left out in the car port all year. 3 weeks back I found it, and was surprised that most of the needles were still on it. So I sprayed it silver and it's done great as our tree this year too.

Spraying it carefully & completely I think helps keep the needles on.

Hopefully it will manage a 3rd Xmas in 2009.

:xmastree:
  • I have just filled all the plastic trays from the boxes of chocs we had at christmas with water and popped them in the freezer. Now I will have lots of unusually shaped ice cubes for tonights New Year celebrations.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • papworth
    papworth Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The charity Dreamflight take stamps. Each year Dreamflight take a plane load of sick children to Florida for a holiday of a life time.

We've started collecting used postage stamps in the office. Please start collecting and ask all your friends and colleagues to do the same.
    The stamps should be removed from the bulk of the envelope, just leaving about 5cm around the edges. We don't want the whole envelope!
    We can get more for them if they are sorted into (a) UK stamps (all types) and (b) foreign, which (apparently!) includes Channel Islands & Isle of Man ....

Dreamflight Office
    7C Hill Avenue, Amersham
    Bucks, HP6 5BD, UK
  • The Rowans Hospice :T for the Portsmouth area collects used stamps to help them raise funds. Their web site...
    http://www.rowanshospice.co.uk/
    Remember the fabulous works Hospices do WITHOUT ANY GOV'T. FUNDING:mad:.
  • You can recycle anything you don't need / want anymore - furniture, bikes, electric goods, books, plants from the garden, old PCs etc. - on the Freecycle Network. Check on www.freecycle.org for your local group. Happy New Year and happy freecycling!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • Hi there,

Re: Used postage stamps - I know a lot of charities have been mentioned but the one that I send mine to is The British Kidney Patient Association - http://www.britishkidney-pa.co.uk/help_us.html. They also collect foreign coins and notes, medals and postcards.
  • If you do not reuse your christmas cards, try your local primary school, mother and toddler group or nursery if they would like them for craft activities.
    Alternatively try your local Rainbow Unit or Brownie Pack. I run a Rainbow unit and we use old cards (including birthdays, anniversaries etc) for crafts and are very appreciative of any donations.
  • Hearing dogs for deaf people train unwanted young dogs, often from rescues, to support and provide compainionship for deaf people. They would greatly appreciate your used stamps.
    You can send them directly to their dealer in an envelope marked Hearing dogs for deaf people,PO box 6198, Leighton Buzzard, Beds LU7 9GW. The dealer is unable to acknowledge receipt but you can see the benefits funds raised give on the Hearing Dogs website. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure