We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Block or allow access to other apps on this device?
Over the last few days I've had a pop up asking "Block or allow access to other apps on this device" when signing into some banking/financial web sites. This is new to me and I'm not sure what to do. Its been suggested that if I trust the site I should allow it as it could be security related but I'm not sure. Is it necessary or do they just want to snoop around my devices?
Comments
-
Give us a clue, what type of device? Windows, MacOS, iOS. Android?, other…
1 -
Sorry, Acer laptop, windows 11
0 -
For a banking site, I would not advise simply clicking Allow because “I trust the bank”. Better advice is: block it initially. If the site continues to work normally, leave it blocked. If a particular banking function fails and the bank's own support documentation says that local application access is required, then allow it for that specific site
1 -
Such apps often ask for access so that they can use biometrics, fingerprint reader, facial recognition, etc (eg. Windows Hello).
For example my banks app on the phone lets me login using the fingerprint reader rather than asking for 4 characters out of a 15 digit passcode like my Win 11 laptop does because it hasn't been setup to use biometrics. (Of course I could still do that on the phone too, but fingerprint is easier).
The NHS phone app also allows fingerprint logons.
But for that to happen you need to grant the app access to the stored biometric data.
1 -
I think this is probably good advice so I'm going to block and see what happens. Thank you
0 -
Someone reported Vanguard asking this on the Savings and Investment board.
Perhaps some library or policy has been updated recently. I have not seen this (Android).
I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


