We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Cheeky Vanguard?
Got the following pop-up when logging onto Vanguard:
What are they likely to be after?
(I Blocked, of course.)
Comments
-
I have got that pop-up before when using an authenticator app with my phone, so it may be for something like that.
0 -
I had exactly this pop-up a few days ago, but not for Vanguard, rather instead for a different investment platform; I ignored it, and after a day or so it vanished. I wonder if it is a browser issue, rather than the platform provider? All a bit odd.
0 -
(I Blocked, of course.)
No 'of course' about it, I wouldn't have given I recognise the domain as safe.
Some of us aren't endlessly pessimistic.
A whole myriad of legitimate reasons I can think of - biometrics, checking you are not connected to an unsafe network, checking automation programs aren't running, checking details about device to see if it is trusted, permission to access file system in case you need to upload forms/ID/etc, authenticator, etc.
Know what you don't0 -
I had the same pop up with BT email - why?
0 -
I have seen it from more than one application. It seemed to start after an update of the Edge browser I use.
2 -
I believe that is needed for some password managers and biometric or authenticator keys used by many people.
I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
Some of us aren't endlessly trusting. Recognising a URL as legit doesn't always mean that it is.
0 -
I was using a bookmark so was happy from that PoV.
0 -
It does. If it isn't legit, then it hasn't been recognised as such.
1 -
I had it too and asked chatGPT which said it's a pop-up that appears on iPhones and some Edge browsers after an update. It's not just Vanguard I got it on, also Wealthify and JP Morgan Personal Investing.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

