We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Monzo Have Sent Me Someone Else's Debit Card

1356

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    How long ago was that? Among other things, I can't see what you describe as being compliant with GDPR for a start…

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,814 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    must admit I did wonder at times - this was just over a year ago.

    I did see similar with my employer before that when I was working in a pensions admin team about 15 years back and we were trying to track down missing members when we had post returned "not at this address". many had moved and not updated their info with the pension scheme and others had died.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 July at 4:01PM

    I am not offering advice, but here is an article on this subject:

    https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/household-bills/can-open-someone-elses-mail-37389579

    "A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s
    detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which
    he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him."

    I am not a lawyer, but I do not believe that you have a reasonable excuse for opening letter from a bank that has a return address on the back, unless you open it by accident. Are you intending to act to the addressee's detriment? It could be argued that you are intentionally violating the privacy of the addressee.

    Returning the letter to the bank shows that you are not involved in any fraudulent attempt to use your address. Such an attempt would fail anyway, unless you are foolish enough to hand the letter to someone who knocks on the door.

  • inspectorperez
    inspectorperez Posts: 922 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Thank you for that.

    Going with my gut instinct tbh. Have written to Monzo this morning (following emails yesterday) and lodged report with Action Fraud.

  • Chief_of_Staffy
    Chief_of_Staffy Posts: 495 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    You misunderstand. You can open other people's mail delivered to regardless of the reason, as long as that reason is not motivated by criminal intent. There is no law specifically for mail that has arrived at its destination.

    So even if the OP opened the mail because he was bored, or wanted to make a paper aeroplane, it wouldn't be illegal. The illegality lies with intent, and practically speaking, action based on intent. In other words, unless the OP opened the mail, took the card and tried to use it to buy a TV or whatever, he's within the law.

  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Many years ago now, I had a visit from the local council who doubted that I was the only person living at my address. They said that they had been given that information by a credit reference agency. There was nothing on my credit reports the suggest that. I assumed that the agency had collated all their credit reports to find people who had given my address as their own. I was obvious to the investigator that I was living alone. I expect that people were using my address for financial fraud. That was the last I heard of it. It was not my problem. Anyone can give a bank my address. Several people reportedly gave Buckingham Palace as their address when they successfully opened accounts with one of the app only banks. I have not heard any reports of the King being accused of being complicit in financial fraud as a result.

  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    No, I do not believe that I have misunderstood. In particular, the article says:

    "It may even be the case that mail arrives for ex-partners or family
    members who have moved away. But make sure you are clued up on the law
    before thinking about
    opening mail that's not for you."

    There are other similar articles on the web. I do not believe that the OP will go to jail for his transgression. Nonetheless, I do believe that returning the letter to the bank unopened is the correct action. That is what I did.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    That's a Mirror article, rather than something credible and authoritative, but even then it concedes that you should "make sure you are clued up on the law", i.e. as opposed to believing sloppy Retch plc 'journalism'…

    Threads about this always highlight the importance of "incorrectly delivered", which, in the context of the Postal Services Act 2000, means delivered to an address other than that on the item, rather than an addressee who doesn't live there.

  • Chief_of_Staffy
    Chief_of_Staffy Posts: 495 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I'm unsure what you're disputing, but I'm not wrong in what I said.

  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,092 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 20 July at 5:11PM

    I rarely check that post arrives in my letterbox is for me or not. I live alone, so if something drops through my letterbox i open it without looking

    But certainly if it has the OPs home address on i can see why you would open it and not even see the name

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.