We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Monzo Have Sent Me Someone Else's Debit Card
Just wondering how this could have happened and is there anything sinister to be concerned about?
New card sent to my property address in someone else's name.
I have reported this to Monzo who have requested me to destroy the card.
I have requested that they give me an explanation as to how this has happened. The issue of new cards has to be a secure process and amongst other things there has to be a correct match of customer's name with postal address to which the card is being posted.
The response is less than reassuring "…..this was probably a hiccup…."
Don't think there is anything else I can do, but just wondering about the risk that someone is using my property address for some sort of scam or fraudulent purpose.
The other thing that strikes me is what could be regarded as the bank's glib reaction to what I would have thought was a pretty serious mistake by whoever is responsible for maintaining an accurate database and the issue of new debit cards.
Comments
-
If you got someone else's card then someone has probably got yours.......I'd be more co centre about that than anything else.
0 -
I never said I had a Monzo account.
0 -
Have you checked your credit reports to make sure nothing else is happening that might actually effect you? Is it possible that someone is trying to use your address for some reason? Possibly (maybe?) a postal worker who might have done something tricky and then didn't manage to intercept the card?
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅1 -
If you dont have a Monzo account i cant see how it can be a Monzo mistake. They wouldn't have your address anywhere in their system to get it mixed up with someone else
Whats more likely is someone has used your address to apply for a card. Whether this is fraudulent, or just a genuine typo by the person applying, who knows
4 -
Have checked out my July credit report and nothing amiss.
0 -
That's what I'm concerned about and the risk that fraud might take place eventually ending up with a knock on my front door or debt collection letters.
0 -
Why would anything show on OP's credit report if the card was in a different persons name. Credit files are linked to the person not the address.
2 -
Have you made it clear to Monzo that the card was sent to your address in the name of someone who doesn't live there, rather than say the postman delivering someone's card to the wrong address?
Either someone has fraudulently/accidentally opened an account using your address, or Monzo's computer systems are mismatching customer addresses - both are quite serious issues and Monzo should be offering more of a detailed explanation that "oops just a hiccup", if only to give you confidence that they've done a proper investigation and can rule the first possibility out. Put these statements to them in writing and ask them to specifically respond to the points rather than allowing them to give a vague response. Ask for specific confirmation that they have no accounts / customers lodged against your address.
Email: complaints@monzo.com
1 -
Thank you for your comprehensive response.
Yes, I have sent Monzo an image of the printed address label showing customer name and postal address in the preliminary email exchanges which took place this morning.
I agree with your view that this is a serious mistake and intend to take the matter further by means of correspondence.1 -
Why does it matter to you? I have had letters from banks to other people delivered to my address. I did not open them. I reposted them with "NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS". The banks eventually stopped sending them. I have had other letters sent to unknown persons at my address. One that looked like a "you have won an overseas lottery" letter. I expect that was a scam.
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

