We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
EES role out
Comments
-
Never a plus to annoy someone you disagree with. Debate them instead (but not here as politics isn't allowed I think)
0 -
"In the meantime, Irish citizens can travel to the EU with less fuss than
a UK citizen, but they still have to go through border control (just
like we did when we were in the EU)."Everybody has to negotiate border control - it's just less inconvenient for EU nationals, as I discovered with my newly acquired Irish passport in April.
0 -
I really need to use more emojis 😉
0 -
No they don't, eg a German flying from Germany to Spain doesn't. Haven't you noticed at Schengen airports it's only the non-Schengen flights that have to go through passport control. Flights to non-Schengen countries (eg UK and Ireland) go from a separate part of the airport which you have to go through passport control to access.
You can travel from one Schengen country to another without going through passport control (ie most of the EU, excluding Ireland and Cyprus, and including a few non-EU countries in EFTA like Norway and Switzerland).
0 -
Of course - I should have said Irish citizens entering the EU from the UK.
0 -
A friend of mine (British) this week had to get from Faro to Sofia, the only flight I could find for him was via Eindhoven.
He was gobsmacked his passport wasnt checked at any point as he had never done a Schengen-Schengen flight before.
1 -
Incidentally, on the Irish / UK passport scenario - I notice ferry lines are about to require passports (or a passport card in the case of Irish nationals) for crossings between the UK and the Republic for British or Irish citizens.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/common-travel-area-barriers-britain-ireland-ferry/
0 -
It is just something I noticed - rhyme, reason or not
0 -
Sure, but my point was that you expressed it as if it was universal fact, rather than saying that you did or didn't have your passport stamped when you entered those countries…
0 -
Flying to Berlin this Saturday and while I know I will have to go through EES on arrival, the Berlin airport website now says you don't have to use them on exit..just go to border control as normal.
When entering the European Union at Berlin Brandenburg Airport, self-service systems are available. Please use these to pre-register your details by scanning your passport and capturing your biometric data.
Once you have completed this step, proceed to the border control desk to complete the regular entry process. Border guards will check your registration and carry out the formal entry check.
When leaving the EU, no self-service systems are available. Please proceed directly to the border control desk
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
