We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

EES role out

1…468910

Comments

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Oh aye I have probably landed a bit lucky, assuming everything runs to time.

  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    We had a nightmare going to Prague on Wednesday 22/7. Total amount of time in the queue was two and a half hours. There were plenty of machines not being used but the staff only allowed 6 people at a time through as there was nowhere to accommodate the queue to go to the manual passport booths. Also, when we finally arrived at the customs officer desk, he proceeded to take photos and fingerprints which we had already done at the machines.


    Our son came out to us a couple of days later and fared better. Around 45 minutes I think. Our flight coincided with a flight from Egypt.


    When we came home on Thursday, the queue looked to be around an hour but we really had felt the ill effects of the long time standing on the way in. My husband has a pacemaker and is nearing 80, so showed his card to Border Control and they waved us through to the diplomatic channel. We should have done that on entry with hindsight.

  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,436 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 3 August at 12:00PM

    The UK were part of the EU when the rules were agreed but didn't think it would actually affect us then! Don't let the truth get in the way of a good moan!

    https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/policies/schengen/smart-borders/entry-exit-system_en

    The EU Entry/Exit System (EES) was politically agreed upon in July 2017 by the European Parliament and the Council, with the formal legislative regulation adopted on 20 November 2017

    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 4,274 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Recently did my first European trip since the rollout started - to Copenhagen. Had about a 20 minute wait in Copenhagen at security, who took FP's and photo. Family member who flew in about an hour later had a 2 hour wait as a few planes came in close together. Coming home we didn't have to wait either at Copenhagen or Manchester end. Straight through both.

  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,505 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Seville is fairly quiet. We go through there twice a year, normally from Manchester with only minor delays.

    The are very few non-Schengen flights into and out of Seville. Since EES started, I've never come across another non-Schengen flight arriving close to mine, so it's only ever been our flight.

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    I shall find out later today!

    Ive already done the fingerprint stuff in Venice a few weeks back so hopefully will be able to go straight to the gates. I imagine I wont be directed there though

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Well the whole system is a joke.

    Landed and was the only non-EU flight and was first off. Got into the terminal and told the person I had already done fingerprints in Venice 2 months ago. Still directed me to the machines, where I had to do fingerprints again, was asked a DIFFERENT set of questions to last time in Italy, before the machine then said I was already registered and to go to the E Gates.

    Whole thing only took 2 mins but still frustrating I had to do fingerprints again, I thought the system was cleverer than that?

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
  • ApolloHubble
    ApolloHubble Posts: 93 Forumite
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    As I started this post, I though I would add another comment. Being someone who travels at least one a month, I have had my fingerprints taken around 10 times, my photo taken around 8 times. My husband, who travels with me has had his fingerprints taken around 12 times and his photo taken more than I have. When I speak to the borderguards, they admit that they have to do this every time until told otherwise. In Hannover this month, one borderguard said it was unlikely that we would be able to use the gates until next year. Switzerland and Luxembourg do not stamp passports, France and Germany do. If I get a decent borderguard, they try to stamp in the corner to allow five stamps per page. If I get a grumpy one, they will stamp in the centre of the page. Recently in Luxembourg, which is only a small airport, we got to border control to leave but there was a Closed sign on it. The borderguards did not arrive until 30 minutes before the flight took off. The plane was actually waiting for us on the tarmac. Luckily everyone got on the plane, and we were at the front of the queue, but I know others at the back were concerned. I have come to realise that there is 'no rhyme nor reason' as to which airport will let you use gates, if I will have my photo and fingerprints taken each time, and how long the queues will be. Being a frequent traveller, I am now used to the queues. Even if it is just our plane that has landed, if there are only two bordguards doing the passport control, it takes at least one hour - joy!

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,043 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Switzerland and Luxembourg do not stamp passports, France and Germany do.

    […]

    I have come to realise that there is 'no rhyme nor reason' as to which airport will let you use gates, if I will have my photo and fingerprints taken each time, and how long the queues will be.

    Not sure it's valid to generalise about which countries do and don't stamp passports either (mine wasn't stamped on entry to France recently, for example), so would maybe add that to your lack of (visible) rhyme or reason!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.