We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Vodafone Broadband Slow Internet

124

Comments

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,167
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I have Vodafone and it has been slow recently. I ran a speed test and it was roughly 50 upload and download, I have a wireless connection; is that about normal?

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,647
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If you're paying for a 50Mbps syncronous connection and getting 100% speed over wifi, then yes, that's perfect.

    There may be a little bit of sarcasm in the above however. First off, you haven't said what you're paying for? Is it ADSL/FTTC/FTTP? How does it measure through a wired connection? Measuring through wifi is pointless as distance and a wall or two will reduce any wifi to zero.

  • andyhicks88
    andyhicks88 Posts: 407
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I may have to, thanks. They say everything their end is fine and normal and yet there is clearly a big difference between the experience actually using the internet with this new service througj vodafone and what I got with standard part fibre with PlusNet. I can only assume the router is the issue. The only thing I can't quite understand is why I haven't seen anyone else with the same issue if the router just isn't very good.

  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 970
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Before spending any money on other routers I would try to exclude the WIFI from things by trying a wired ethernet connection if possible. The wifi could be giving you these latency issues, using ethernet would bypass that and give you a true indication of the connection performance.

    I skimmed through the thread and couldn't see anything that confirms this has been tested

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,968
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I skimmed through the thread and couldn't see anything that confirms this has been tested

    We've asked the OP to try a wired connection several times; no feedback yet on any results from doing so.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,617
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Something you can do is install a WiFi analyser app on a mobile gadget. See if you are using the same channel as a neighbour. That can significantly reduce the speed. If so, the solution is to log into your router's access page http://192.168.1.1/ and try changing it.

    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • andyhicks88
    andyhicks88 Posts: 407
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It's the same any time of the day. Also the upstairs wifi connection on my devices are constantly fluctuationg between full bars and 1 bar….though I don't think it's a wifi issue itself because the slow internet and loading times/behaviour is replicated even in the same room as the router with full strenth signal indicated. I'm no expert so that's why I asked here lol but everything and my gut is telling me it's a router issue.

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,647
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Going off your previous posts you're only testing with two different devices, what are they? Which hub is it, the wifi 6 one or the wifi 7 pro version?

    If one or both are Apple devices try disabling Apple iCloud relay.

    If one or both are Samsung newish devices try:-

    Open Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi.

    Tap the three dots (top right) and select Intelligent Wi-Fi.

    Scroll to the bottom and tap Intelligent Wi-Fi multiple times until Connectivity Labs is enabled.

    Enter Connectivity Labs, look for the Wi-Fi 7 toggle or "Enhanced Compatibility Mode," and turn off Wi-Fi 7 or play around with the other options.

  • andyhicks88
    andyhicks88 Posts: 407
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 12 June at 10:08AM

    One is an asus windows laptop and the other is Xiaomi phone that's about 3yrs years old. I had no issues liek this on these same devices with my previous (part fibre) service though.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.