We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Anyone else still pay by cash?
Comments
-
One reason people like physical things eg CD, vinyl, DVD, is that you actually have the media unlike streaming where it just exists on a server somewhere.
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid0 -
Last time I paid cash was at a street market in Germany last summer. Last time I paid cash in the UK was probably about 10 years ago.
0 -
It's nostalgia, there is a thriving market on ebay for old vinyl as well - people who have the record players want to sit and listen while the digital era people want to listen on the go and with modern streaming, the sound quality is much of a muchness especially on a phone. I mostly listen to music via youtube to the extent my CD player has been broken for ages and I just can't be bothered to pay for it to be repaired or replaced.
For some, cash is convenient or a way to budget, for some it's a good way to avoid tax.
Person above taking 20 minutes to pay is just a weird situation, I am amazed tourist boats somehow can't take card payments but even then a bank transfer is done in seconds, even with 2FA to setup a new payee
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
3 -
I admit, I stopped using cash a long time ago. I cannot stand having a load of change jangling about anywhere.
Parking, just use a famous name parking payment App. Never ever have a problem.
If a shop doesn't take debit card payments, I just leave everything on the payment counter for them to put back, but honestly, I can't remember the last time I was in a proper shop where a debit card was refused. The last time I did have a debit card refused, was at a Chinese takeaway. It ended up in a right row because I refused to take the food and just left it on the counter as they point blank insisted, they were 'cash only'.
Tax. Yup, the people who I know who deal in cash only, have told me that they do so in order to avoid paying tax.
There are people who claim they can't budget using a debit card, well that's more on them and their financial acumen. Never in my life have I had a problem budgeting just using a debit card. We're all different though and we all come from different backgrounds. By the way, if people think things are bad today, I promise, the 1970's were worse by far!
I love vinyl, got a decent turntable and loads of LP's.
3 -
I shop almost every weekend at London North End Rd street market for fresh fruits/veg/etc… All the stallholders take cash exclusively. So I still use cash regularly.
1 -
I've ripped up the old vinyl and laid ceramic floor tiles in it's place.
I baulk at records, l.p. records, pressings, albums etc. being called vinyl or vinyls. At the very least call them vinyl records.
Rant over!
I still use cash to pay the window cleaner and car parking. The pay machines in the car park I normally use take ages to verify a card payment because the mobile signal they use is poor and intermittent.
The local icecream van have a sign displayed that they prefer cash.
0 -
Record fairs are still mainly cash only so you are missing out on a huge selection of vinyl at very affordable prices. This weekend has been cash all the way starting with Saturday night's takeaway, then two car boots on Sunday morning and even paid cash in Mcdonalds for an early morning coffee in between.
0 -
2 boats - neither with a card reader. But I suspect that there is no point in having a card reader unless you have some sort of internet coverage.
0 -
I hate having the clutter of Biu-Rays etc and much prefer streaming but there is something to be said about actually having the media. I do wonder how long the photos people take today will last. My mum was having a big clearout in her house and she found a load of 50 year old slides that the got scanned in, on the other hand when my mother in law died nobody could get into her 18 month old ipad that had all her photos on.
0 -
Our card reader for the allotment shop has a built-in SIM, so no need for separate internet. But yes, if there was no coverage at all, then it would be useless.
We also take cash. It's a right pain when someone has got a £20 note out of the cash point and pays for £1.32-worth of bean seeds with it though!!
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



