We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Anyone else still pay by cash?
Comments
-
I can absolutely understand why a lot of pubs and clubs no longer accept cash and are card only. It saves them a huge amount of time in cashing up, they don't have the security issues of dealing with the cash either.
1 -
And when buying a round needs a second mortgage, paying by card (preferably credit card) does save going out mid-session to find a cash machine.
2 -
That's no longer a problem for us, we've stopped going out to the pub because at almost 12 quid for two pints depending on where you're located, it's no longer viable. And so it's a fiver at Lidl for 4 pints of premium lager or a box of cans for £15 and a few friends round on a Saturday night with no prospect of getting into a fight or being arrested and of course, no cash or card machines to worry about.
0 -
For all the negativity around it, Spoons has pints for £2.20 on certain days, had 5 CAMRA type beers on tap when I was in Portsmouth the other week
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
2 -
Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. Spoons is the only pub left that we would go to if we bothered to go out to one. Problem is, the nearest Spoons to us is a 25 quid taxi ride each way, so we don't bother.
0 -
As someone who rarely drinks id say the only thing Spoons is good for is a decent breakfast at a bargain price, we have one close by.
0 -
There is a cupboard in my parent's house full of albums going back over 60 years. Some old 78 records in there too.
Annoying about digital device storage and being unable to access it. I have set up my legacy contact for my Apple account so some stuff will be easy to get at once I have popped my clogs.
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid0 -
I was at Birmingham New Street, was hot wanted a cold drink, went to Smiths and they wanted £3 for a bottle of Coke, ended to in Spoons had 1/2 bitter for £1.10 it was lovely.
Paying my card helped as able to order it at table and beer was served at the table.Let's Be Careful Out There2 -
Brilliant! I always find that by using the 'Spoons App to order and pay, I get served quicker anyway. I just wish I had a 'Spoons within walking distance of my house, being retired, I'd probably be in there most of the day!
1 -
A pint of Worthingtons is £1.96 at my local Wetherspoons.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



