We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Anyone else still pay by cash?
Comments
-
A pint in my local boozer, is just under a fiver. Is it any wonder why a lot of the small pubs are closing.
I did a pub crawl on the Embankment in 2025 and it cost 7 quid a pint in every pub we visited. The cheapest boozer we visited, was Spoons near Tower Bridge. I won't be doing a pub crawl in London ever again!
0 -
40 pence for a soda and lime in various Wetherspoon pubs I have been in. Free water too.
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid0 -
Free water in any pub. It's part of their licensing conditions.
2 -
I don't pay by cash apart from going to market.
Card or gift card due to cashback.
0 -
Not necessary power cut, it could be internet of the shop go down and they can't do card payment.
I had it 2 times before. One at poundland, the other time was Greggs.
1 -
12 quid for two pints!!! 😮…Glad I packed in drinking 23 years ago. Mind you, I remember a little back street house that had been converted into a pub that sold only rough cider..1/6d (7.1/2 pence for the youngsters among us), that would be the late 1960s - blotto on two pints.
0 -
The ol 'legal tender' sovereign-citizen misunderstanding again. That's only a thing when settling a debt in court.
See how well that works on a london bus etc. You'll end up down the police station no matter how furiously you rant about 'legal tender'4 -
In the past week I have used cash at a car boot sale, at several car parks in Dorset where the only other option was to install yet another App (no option to pay by card), and in a supermarket purely to get some coins for those car parks! I also used a pound coin in a supermarket trolley.
0 -
It is indeed. Apparently they can charge for the use of a glass though.
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid0 -
Trouble with a lot of the parking apps is they charge you 20p on top of the parking charge.
At the the one in my town does.
Being a bit MSE I never use it.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

