We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Anyone else still pay by cash?
Comments
-
Ringo comes up with the nearest places when you use the app to pay for parking. One thing I don't like about it is that you have to pay for a set time and then extend it if necessary, it would be better if you could just hit done when you are finished and get charged the appropriate amount. There was another app I used in Devon once that did that, but I can't remember which one it was now.
0 -
They earn extra money by people paying for parking that they end up not needing and those forgetting to pay for the extra time.
Let's Be Careful Out There0 -
In my area many people wouldn't know what a parking meter was. They drive into a car park....park....walk over to a pay machine that tells them how much......They choose to pay by phone and stand around for a few minutes looking for something, an app, a method of paying, I don't know but I've already paid cash and am half way to the shop.
1 -
That will happen once, after which time they will have the app or used contactless if offered to pay immediately
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
0 -
Near me the council created a lot of residential parking zones, but few meters.
There are signs informing people of numbers to call or appropriate app to use.
The meters take cash.
I've yet to use an app or pay by phone. Keep a small amount of cash for parking in the car.
Although that "small" amount has become larger over time.
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid0 -
I use a credit card for single purchases over £100, anything less is either cash or a cashback debit card, depending on the situation. In the case of smaller local businesses with whom I transact regularly, I usually ask which they would prefer - it's about a 50/50 mix between cash or tap and go.
0 -
Only pay the cleaner in cash and it's getting to be a pain. 2 ATMs in my town have no fee and are often out of order. No banks. The post office is only ever open when I'm in work.
Everything else the transition has happened almost without noticing. Groceries online through the app. Bills by direct debit. That's most spending. It seems more and more I'm just managing a spreadsheet that watches the salary go in and out and I'm just the middle man.
My Debt free diary
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6492297/10-000-steps-1-step-at-a-time1 -
Usually use cash and do not have a smartphone. Just yesterday managed to jump on a tourist boat because they had some spare spaces. Had I had sufficient cash I could have paid on the spot. As it was I had to spend about 20 minutes paying over the internet.
0 -
Cannot remember the last time i used/paid for anything with cash - have not carried cash for years now.
1st time i made a contactless payment i never looked back.
There will always be a use for cash but someday in the future it will stop - whether we like it or not.
0 -
There will always be a use for cash but someday in the future it will stop - whether we like it or not.
Maybe, but probably after contactless (as we currently use it) is stopped and replaced by something else we haven't thought of yet.
It is a bit like vinyl. Cassette tape was supposed to replace it, then CDs were going to replace it. Then along came streaming. But vinyl is still there in it's own little niche, and is now more popular than cassette tape and CD. Maybe there is something about simple analogue systems the human psyche is attracted to, regardless of how inconvenient they are compared to other options.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




