We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Jaguar I-Pace Should I?

1235

Comments

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes there is a Hyundai dealer close by too, the inster looks a bit too "trendy" for my taste though, and the battery is a lot smaller.

    Either way I'm not actually buying one brand new, 12 months pre-reg would be more like it.

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • I never understood why they didn’t go with a full EV Prius option like Kia and Hyundai did with their aerodynamic hatchbacks. A 40kw Prius could have been a winner delivering easily 200 miles range.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,135 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Well you won't get wither of them for another year then 🤣

    Life in the slow lane
  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 20 April at 2:55PM

    Well yes, I've only had the Dacia 3 weeks, I'd lose a fortune on it now, so I need to get 12 months use out of it at least 😉

    (I'll still lose a fortune in 12 months, but (a fortune)/21 days is a lot worse than (a slightly larger fortune)/365 days)

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 21 April at 7:14AM

    The Prius is a big seller for Toyota. Although I believe the sales in the UK have dropped a little. Their sales increase in the US was around 24% more last year. As we know, the US customers isn't really keen on EV's.

    The design (small battery under the rear seat) doesn't lead it's self to a full EV conversion, there's not enough space designed into it for big batteries.

    So that would mean a complete redesign of a car that sells really well in it's current HEV/PHEV form in a massive market for a smaller, less profitable market.

    You have to remember, Toyota is a massive global company and we only get a very small slice of the products here in the UK/Europe.

    There's around 11 car models on their UK sales list and over 40 on the US sales list. You might be familiar with some JDM imports on our roads from Japan, but they are generally a few years old now.

    Their complete worldwide model range is mind boggling and they have been rather successful in picking the right cars for the right market.

    We get the the bZ4X EV, but in other markets there are more versions, like the the Touring or Woodland in some countries. But no one here buys estates anymore, so why sell and import them here if no one really wants it.

    From what I've read, Toyota have plans for a new EV platform that will be made in Kolin near Prague. It looks likely it'll start with a C segment SUV, so it looks likely the new C-HR/Urban Cruiser will get the full EV treatment.

    They are also looking at producing one of their "personal transport" concepts, along similar lines to the Citroen Ami. The concept is called the FT-Me. That's not to say we'll get it, it looks like a Kei car that the Japanese are mad on, so I expect it's perhaps their home market unless things change.

    Again from what I read, Toyota have put a lot of effort, time and money into battery technology and design without really bringing that to market yet.

    The world's not the UK or Europe and a lot of it is stuck on or chooses fossil fuels for the time being, so I think Toyota will continue with PHEVs and HEVs for a good while yet.

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I did have a play in the Kia EV2, odd colour though- primer grey, apparently it is "on trend". The other one they had was black, looks great, but is impractical for a car that lives outside, I think red would be a good choice.

    Anyway, very nice to sit in and the steering wheel feels lovely.

    I'm not a fan of the electric handbrake (I assume there are "rustomatic" discs too, but I forgot to look.) but I am a big fan of the 360 cameras, you can trigger the birds eye and front view when going along with a nice sensible button on the armrest. (You need them as you cannot see where the car ends looking forwards)

    Seems huge compared to the Spring, but the specs show it is only 33mm wider, I suspect the mirrors are a lot stubbier as you sit a long way from the passenger. It is a foot longer, and most of that is obviously in the wheelbase, the rear legroom is massive.

    There is rumoured to be an EV1 on the way, which will be more the size of the Spring.

    If I win £25K on the Premium Bonds next month I'll definitely order one, otherwise I'll give it 12 months and see what the prices are doing, hopefully the EV haters will keep putting people off and the residuals low!

    I think my best plan for now would be to see if a Clio steering wheel will fit the Spring, and get a nice leather trimmed one 😊

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Thanks guys for the info , i’ll be honest i originally wanted a tesla late 24 , but it a personal choice i can’t morally support it , but the ioniq seems to be a good option , however i decided i want a SUV type , i will test drive the skoda , but i have been hearing great things about BYD , does anyone own one that can give me more info

  • PTP123
    PTP123 Posts: 129 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    If you want go down down the whole moral route I'd avoid anything Chinese

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Have a look at the Kia EV5, I was very impressed with the bits I had to touch in the EV2.

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,135 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Only thing that really annoys me with Kia on Ev2 & 3 is that in other countries they get movable & reclining seats which make a big difference to either boot or rear passenger space. Just a stupid move by them to cut costs 🤦‍♀️

    EV3 means that there is a gap behind rear seat to parcel shelf. You can get a infill, but it is not cheap & is rubbish design. Why not just leave seats as the rest of the world.

    Life in the slow lane
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.