We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

WWYD? Request to loan in-laws money

1234579

Comments

  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,331 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
  • IWasHereBefote
    IWasHereBefote Posts: 31 Forumite
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I don’t disagree. And it would be great advice if I was the one making the decision!

  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,592 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!

    For the financial future of your family, you need to put your foot down and leave this family to it.

    I would be very wary of what your husband is doing behind your back.

    And it should be both of you making the decision.

    It sounds like you might be empowering your husband to turn into his father.

  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,592 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!

    I'm not pinning anything on you (if I'm who you are referring to).

    I'm just responding with my opinion of how my relationship would work.

    I wouldn't accept a relationship where my partner would think it acceptable to loan his (seemingly profligate) parents money without my agreement.

    But it seems to me that there is not an equitable relationship between you and your partner.

    Totally outside my understanding.

    I wish you good luck.

    I think you might need it.

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,306 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    you did say

    Thoughts and advice welcomed!

    People’s thoughts is what you have been given.

  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 19,699 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    If DH tried to increase the mortgage, wouldn't that also require your signature?

    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • IWasHereBefote
    IWasHereBefote Posts: 31 Forumite
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    No. We can both draw down online to the original lending amount without needing the other’s permission. It’s not a remortgage.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.