We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Need Help
Comments
-
I don't disagree but this is Sports Direct, they've already told OP to go away so they need to push back (via the complaints process linked above) and point out it's their problem to deal with 🙂
In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces0 -
Have you received the cost back?
If not, then wait to see if it is the cost you returned .1 -
OP wants the cost back but is expecting to get the coat back!
0 -
xxxxxx phone
0 -
Thanks - that's helpful.
Couple more questions I'm afraid.
We need to know whether the coat they send back is the one you returned.
What date* did you oriignally receive the coat first time?
What date* did you return it?
When you returned it, did you tell them you were cancelling the contract?
Did you pay for the return or did Flannels provide a pre-paid returns label?
Obviously for £800+ you want your money back. If you can answer the above questions people here can advise how best to approach Flannels and how to escalate if necessary.
Unfortunately you might need to write to them formally threatening to sue them, and you might need to issue a claim against them
*Precise dates are important
0 -
I knew what you meant!
0 -
Hi,
I will answer each point.
- I originally received the coat on 3/1 and I sent it back on 5/1. I paid for the return via the link provided by flannels and they used DPD.
- When I informed Flannels I was returning their product it was via their returns portal but I never emailed beforehand saying I was cancelling my contract.
- I had to pay £6:49 for the return via flannels return portal.
- I have not taken back ownership of the jacket because in my eyes I completed my contract with flannels once they took back ownership of the jacket. Though if you feel this is wrong please let me know.
- It’s impossible to get any information from them so I am now at the position of just issuing a small court claim.
0 -
The jacket you sent back may not have been the jacket that Flannels rxamined.
The acknowledgement of the parcel being received does not confirm what was in the parcel.
It would be passed to someone else to examine.
The parcel could have been intercepted and the jackets swooped at some point between you handling it over to the courier and the jacket being examined.
That may seem far fetched but there are reports of items received not being what was claimed to have been sent.
0 -
If anyone had changed the jackets I feel it’s likely from when the jacket arrived at Flannels on 7/1 and when it was located in their warehouse on 28/1. However like I have said they won’t provide me with any details so I can confirm anything. I am going to write to their Head Office and if no joy it’s court time.
Just very frustrating!
0 -
OK.
For future reference, when you've bought something at a distance (ie not instore but online or by phone etc) you have a statutory right to cancel the contract within 14 days of delivery, and you have a further 14 days to return the goods. (ie up to 28 days in total).
But to exercise that right you have to clearly tell the seller that you are cancelling the contract.
You haven't done that here but let's not worry about that for now. At least you returned the coat within 14 days
Taking what you say at face value, if the coat you received was the one you ordered then it's obviously been swapped either while it was on it's way back to Flannels or at their returns centre.
If you returned the coat via Flannels return portal and their choice of courier was DPD, then you need to persevere with flannels and escalate your complaint through their customer services.
Tell them that you returned the coat to them in good faith and that in doing so you were exercising your right to cancel a distance contract under para 29 of The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
Tell them that as you returned the coat via their own returns portal and via their own chosen courier, then they, Flannels, were resposible for the coat once you sent it back to them. The fact it has gone missing or been swapped with some other coat en route is not your problem - it's their's.
Assuming you have some sort of evidence that you returned the coat (have you?) you can also tell flannels that under para 34 of the above regulations they must refund you within 14 days of you supplying evidence that you sent the goods back.
Their customer services will likely try to reject all these points and you will need to escalate to a supervisor or manager and you may also need to put it in writing.
It's up to you how far you want to push it, but for £800+ you might as well put a bit of effort into it.
If you get nowhere with them come back here for further advice.
As I see it for £800 you have nothing to lose by sending them a letter before action threatening to sue them, but come back here before taking that step
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

