We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Need Help

13567

Comments

  • Thanks :)

    Looks like they offer pay in 3 and regulated credit, OP complaints process here:

    https://cdn.tymit.com/media/Frasers_Plus_Customer_Complaints_Process_05abd5c61f.pdf

    From what I understand pay in 3 isn't regulated (you can still use their complaints process) but if it was a long term credit agreement you can raise to the ombudsman if you aren't happy with the response.

    My argument would be the coat wasn't as described, as admitted by Flannels themselves.

    In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 3,933
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 January at 11:28AM

    "… I bought a coat from Flannels online on 2/1 and when it arrived it looked like a bin bag so I returned it on 5/1 and DPD delivered back to them on 7/1. I then received an email on the 8/1 from flannels stating they had got the coat and would be in touch…"

    I think you've already been asked* this, but what do you mean by "it looked like a bin bag"?

    You've paid the best part of a grand for a jacket online. Are you saying you received something completely different from what you ordered, or are you saying it was what you ordered but simply wasn't of the expected quality for a grand, or was it a bin bag?

    I'm asking because if it obviously wasn't what you ordered, then it sounds like it might have been switched en route to you. If it was what you ordered then it sounds like it might have been switched on the way back to Flannels - or there has been some mix up at their returns centre.

    So can you clarify what you mean by "looked like a bin bag"?

    Might help if you can give a link to what you bought.

    And if it clearly wasn't what you ordered, didn't you consider complaining to Flannels first rather than just sending it back?

    *It helps others help you if you can answer the questions asked…

  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,615
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Why do people insist on asking totally irrelevant questions on this forum?

    The OP can return the goods within 14 days for any reason they like. If the OP thinks it looks like a bin bag, then that's their choice. Why do you have to question it?

    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,158
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If they think someone has switched the product sent. How do consumer rights pan out?

    Would you expect a company to payout if what is sent back is not what they sent out?

    Life in the slow lane
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 3,933
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Yes - the OP has the right to cancel a distance contract, but the issue here is that Flannels are saying that what she returned to them is not something that they sold to her so they won't refund her.

    It would seem to me to perhaps be of some small help to the OP in getting a refund if she could confirm whether what she received from Flannels was (a) exactly what she ordered; (b) what she ordered but of unexpectedly poor quality; or ( c) something entirely different from what she ordered.

    Simply saying it "looked like a bin bag" doesn't really help anyone here to give the OP useful advice.

    Taking what the OP has said at face value it sounds like the jacket has been switched somewhere. I think it would be helpful to know exactly what the OP received in the first place

    If you still think it's an irrelevant question, fair enough.

    We can agree to differ.

  • Unless it was the OP (not to imply it is) anything else is the retailers problem really.

    For a coat costing a grand they need better scrutiny of goods in, scrutiny of other customer returns and more security during the delivery process.

    I know it’s often said that people want cheap goods but those buying clothes for this sort of money would very likely not notice an extra 5% in the price to cover this sort of thing.

    In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 3,682
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 January at 2:58PM

    It's not an irrelevant question - because it will help identify if this is a case of a retailer being belligerent to avoid refunding a customer, or if some kind of criminal activity has taken place.

    It would also help identify where the criminal activity has taken place (if it has) - on the outbound delivery or on the return delivery.

    This will make a significant difference to the hoops the OP is going to have to jump through to get ithis issue resolved.

  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 3,682
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    This is one of those "Yes, technically, but also kind of no". IF, (as might be the case) the goods returned by the OP are not the goods that were originally picked off a shelf at the retailer (as some kind of swap has happened at some point) - then the retailers initial response is not un-reasonable.

    That doesn't absolve the retailer of their responsibility, but it does mean it's going to be significantly harder for the OP to get the outcome they want.

  • saints1996
    saints1996 Posts: 64
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 January at 2:12AM

    Hello,

    The coat was a Moncler Short Down Jacket for my son and though it was the coat I ordered it was a lot more shiny in person “ looked like a bin bag “ was just my impression. I had no issues with the quality it just had a bit too much shine for his style and the online photos didn’t really show this but with these coats sometimes they don’t.

    I followed all the right procedures of booking a return through their website, using their recommended courier DPD. Got my proof of delivery and forwarded this to Customer Services.

    The issues I am having is they won’t forward me any of the evidence they claim proves the jacket doesn’t belong to them. At present I am banging my head against a wall because I have adhered to all procedures I am expected to by the consumer Act, unless someone can tell me otherwise.

    I wish I would have videoed myself opening the coat and videoing resealing it but hindsight is a lovely thing.

    I have also suggested if they are saying I have taken their real jacket and sent them a fake jacket in its place let’s get the police involved because we have moved from civil to criminal.

    Though like I mentioned they are refusing to provide me with any evidence other than what I have mentioned.

    Thank you all

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,894
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Letter before action, threatening court.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.