We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Should itsthelittlethings spend less on coffee?

1…3940424445…67

Comments

  • MFWannabe said:
    You’ve just had eyebrows done; which pot covers this? 
    The pot where I pay to go to work.

    Having a lovely evening.

    Hastings Direct 4775.99

    La Redoute 676.21

    Barclaycard 295.20

  • Also if I get a car finance windfall, that's also my emergency fund.

    Hastings Direct 4775.99

    La Redoute 676.21

    Barclaycard 295.20

  • MFWannabe
    MFWannabe Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    MFWannabe said:
    You’ve just had eyebrows done; which pot covers this? 
    The pot where I pay to go to work.

    Having a lovely evening.
    Travel pot? 
    You need a pot for spends such as beauty treatments for things like eyebrows 

    MFW 2026 #50

    Mortgage:

    04/04/26: £33,500 

    07/03/26: £34,418.15

    16/01/26: £56,794.25
    02/01/26: £60,223.17

    12/08/25: Mortgage: £62,500.00
    12/06/25: Mortgage: £65,000.00
    07/03/25: Mortgage: £67,000.00
    18/01/25: Mortgage: £68,500.14
    27/12/24: Mortgage: £69,278.38 

    Savings: £20,000




  • MFWannabe
    MFWannabe Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I lived without heating for a winter when my heater broke which somehow wasn’t too bad although I cannot imagine doing it now. This was not due to lack of funds but due to an inability to get a work person to actually do the work. I had the money in my bank account all the time and paid for the work when I finally had it done.

    I am not prepared to live without hot showers or to have to cope with water p***ing out of the boiler everywhere and causing a flood.

    Oh I didn’t share the other good news. Just as I start paying £50/ month towards the last Section 20 notice another one comes through for the same amount.

    However I have a long term plan for the emergency fund. If I stick at my job I may get a Christmas bonus next year and that will be my emergency fund.
    Section 20 notice? Where are the section 20 payments covered in your soa? 
    You can’t rely on a possible bonus next year for your emergency fund, emergency fund is required now. How would you manage if you lost your job? Had a large expense? 

    MFW 2026 #50

    Mortgage:

    04/04/26: £33,500 

    07/03/26: £34,418.15

    16/01/26: £56,794.25
    02/01/26: £60,223.17

    12/08/25: Mortgage: £62,500.00
    12/06/25: Mortgage: £65,000.00
    07/03/25: Mortgage: £67,000.00
    18/01/25: Mortgage: £68,500.14
    27/12/24: Mortgage: £69,278.38 

    Savings: £20,000




  • MFWannabe said:
    I lived without heating for a winter when my heater broke which somehow wasn’t too bad although I cannot imagine doing it now. This was not due to lack of funds but due to an inability to get a work person to actually do the work. I had the money in my bank account all the time and paid for the work when I finally had it done.

    I am not prepared to live without hot showers or to have to cope with water p***ing out of the boiler everywhere and causing a flood.

    Oh I didn’t share the other good news. Just as I start paying £50/ month towards the last Section 20 notice another one comes through for the same amount.

    However I have a long term plan for the emergency fund. If I stick at my job I may get a Christmas bonus next year and that will be my emergency fund.
    Section 20 notice? Where are the section 20 payments covered in your soa? 
    You can’t rely on a possible bonus next year for your emergency fund, emergency fund is required now. How would you manage if you lost your job? Had a large expense? 
    The SOA is a bit problematic as it is more a tool for thinking about things than a cast iron budget. I did it as it reflects reality (with comments taken on board). All those figures accurately reflect what I spend in those categories. The rest is just spending (misc).

    Today I've had a no spend day.

    Thank you so much for all your comments. I'm going to start winding down now but tomorrow I will spend some time rereading the comments since my SOA and perhaps making some notes. I really really appreciate you wise people taking the time to offer advice on my financial situation and I hope I can learn something from it.

    I'm really trying to start taking my debt and spending habits seriously.

    Hastings Direct 4775.99

    La Redoute 676.21

    Barclaycard 295.20

  • Have set myself a little challenge to not go into town from now until Christmas. Got my smart meter fitted. I didn’t get a little monitor but my friend says they are basically a waste of plastic anyway. I looked at my bills, my new fridge freezer seems to be costing me £50 a quarter although I suppose bills are always going up. I should make more use of it and not eat out alone or get takeout ever. I can’t afford it.

    Hastings Direct 4775.99

    La Redoute 676.21

    Barclaycard 295.20

  • Pasta cacio e pepe with green beans vinaigrette for tea. I’m doing Tim Spector’s challenge to eat 30 vegetables a week. I think I could count pepper but I’m not going to.

    Hastings Direct 4775.99

    La Redoute 676.21

    Barclaycard 295.20

  • I have made a great leap in my budget. The amount of luxuries I buy has got absolutely ridiculous. I have trimmed my luxuries category by half by dividing it into “keep” and “ditch”.

    Hastings Direct 4775.99

    La Redoute 676.21

    Barclaycard 295.20

  • itsthelittlethings
    itsthelittlethings Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 November 2025 at 7:15PM
    Also, sorry for all the updates today, I have cancelled £50 worth of subscriptions. I’m going to use Google Calendar instead of my AI productivity app. It’s absolutely great but it’s not at my price point.

    Hastings Direct 4775.99

    La Redoute 676.21

    Barclaycard 295.20

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.