PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to remove mould from bathroom sealant ? (merged threads)

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• frugallily
    Options
    Seems fine! Would do it again!
  • tomb_raider
    Options
    Hi, I've just removed the mould from round my bath... used Harpic white & shine toilet cleaner, left on overnight (no scrubbing) & all white & fresh in the morning! It's easy to apply as got the nozzle (for the toilet.) It smells a bit (bleach) but not too bad. It has bicarb in it too.
    I was thinking might have to replace the sealant but had the Harpic so thought would try it.
    :)
  • I also had the same problem last few days. You need to remember the following points -
    Clean the mold from bathroom by using tools like paper towel, white vinegar, Spray bottle and stiff-bristle brush.
    Put the white vinegar on paper towel and lay the paper towel along bath sealant. Cover the entire mount on the grout for almost two hours. Pour the white vinegar into the spray bottle and every half an hour spray the paper towels to ensure the vinegar does not evaporate.
    After that use chlorine bleach.
  • farmgirl117
    Options
    After reading the different answers to my black mould problem, which was all around the shower bottom, I did try scrubbing, shower cleanser and bleach. Nothing worked. Until, I tried bleach again, and it did work! What I did was take and spray bleach on the black disgusting mould, three to four times a day, for almost a week, and saw that the black was slowly fading. After nearly a week I no longer have a horrid black corner in the shower. It is just the color of the grout as it was when brand new, a very pale tan color, and the sealant is clear again, and even though I still have a couple of very tiny black specks in one area, they are almost gone, I can barely see them. I am so happy, as I thought I'd have to scrape, cut, and redo the shower grout and sealant. From now on I am going to spray the shower with diluted bleach to prevent this from happening again.
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    I replaced all of my bath sealant a few weeks ago. After hacking away at the chewy stuff for an age, I then used one of those sealant contraptions....actually, I used two, I broke the first one.

I thought it'd be similar to icing a cake. It is. I'm just as rubbish at icing a cake. I bought sealant tape to go over the bodge job. Lovely!
  • alex21
    alex21 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    I got fed up with the disgusting look of mouldy sealant which was so difficult to clean. I never really got a brilliant job and over time had to dig out and replace the sealant numerous times. The last time I replaced it I sprayed it with this stuff out of desparation Aqua Mix Professional Grout Sealer Universal Aerosol Spray which I bought online and all over my grout which also discoloured between the tiles. 5 years on and not a trace of discolouration or a speck of mould. Worth every penny.
  • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Options
    HG Mould Remover - marvellous stuff.
    Weight Loss - Start (21st September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 10st 10lb (20th August 2017) :cool: :j

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed :D

New target - lose remainder of fat and gain muscle :cool:
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    As long as it isn't in too deep....

I mix baking powder with bleach to a paste. Then apply with a toothbrush. Works a treat.

Just make sure you air the room properly.
    The bleach reacts with the baking powder and it is a strong smell!
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • Mweya
    Mweya Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I tried all the standard remedies and lots of different proprietory brands, and none of them worked. Then I came across Blitz That Mould from Lakeland. It worked like a dream - I couldn't believe it! It's a gel so very easy to target the mould area and also doesn't run off so easily, which is what I found with the sprays and liquids. Hope it works as well for you
  • Navnav
    Options
    Hi, After a bit of research I found this demonstration which is working 100%. I'm about to try it my self but I'm sure it will work. Here is the video: youtube.com/watch?v=pXDFPkMKef0

*** Use safety gloves when working with the bleach at all times ***

1. Use a strong bleach (Domestos Extended Germ-Kill Original Bleach is used in the youtube video pXDFPkMKef0)
    2. Roll some toilet paper in a tube shape and lay it around the mold area to prevent the bleach from sinking into the bath or going away
    3. Leave the bleach in the same area for at least 12 hours
    4. Rinse and smile at your new looking bathroom silicon sealant! :A

If it works for you, thumbs up and reply to my comment
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills