We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How to remove mould from bathroom sealant ? (merged threads)

1…78101213

Comments

  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The best thing I found was the mould remover from Lakeland but there were still faint marks left - in the end I gave in and replaced the sealant myself - which was a huge faff for me but despite my lack of DIY skills it still looks better!

    I now dry round the bath after every shower as I don't want to do that job again in a hurry!!!
  • You can pick up the sealant from Poundland. If you want it spotless, that's probably going to be the only way to do it.
  • TimBear
    TimBear Posts: 808 Forumite
    Thanks guys, will have a look for some sealant to re-do it. I don't want to be spending a fortune so if I can find some in the pound shop that would be brilliant!
  • Before you redo it (as it's a job I HATE-especially as we moved into a house with a leaking bath, and we didn't realise how bad it was until we redid the bathroom) try a thick paste made up of bicarbonate of soda and bleach, and smear it on thick. I just did this, left it on for about 5 hours and it got nearly all the specks out, so next time will do for longer. I was really surprised by how well it worked-now just got to find cheap bicarb to do it regularly....
  • Grimbal
    Grimbal Posts: 2,334
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    found 3kg for £14 on ebay if that helps?
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
  • Grimbal wrote: »
    found 3kg for £14 on ebay if that helps?

    Might have a look in the local chinese supermarket, see if can get some there, save on the postage :) I used a tub that was OOD in feb 09 :D
  • MrsCrafty
    MrsCrafty Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    dribble bleach over it and leave it. I thought hubs had replaced the sealant when he did this. It gets rid of it all.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Dettox Mold & Mildew spray.

    Seems to work far better than bleach on its own.

    Open a window first though!!!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • grotbuster, cant remember who makes it but its great stuff :j
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    I find the cheap 'magic' sponges are good at this! they are quite gentle and if you dont rub too hard you dont remove the sealant!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.