PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to remove mould from bathroom sealant ? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• hotcookie101
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    Dettox Mold & Mildew spray.

Seems to work far better than bleach on its own.

Open a window first though!!!

I has tried that and it didn't work, but the bleach/bicarb did. I *think* its cos it sticks better to the wall
  • minniemaus1970
    Options
    I put bleach in a squirty bottle to clean speckly mouldy silicone, the cheap stuff works as well as the more pricey one. however, I ended up removing all the silicone with a sharp scraper blade. then cleaned it with bleach ( to kill the mould underneath) once rinsed and dried with hairdryer .....I then wiped the tiles with surgical spirit, let it evaporate and then applied new silicone, I use washing up liquid on finger to smooth it down, then let it dry over night, if in doubt get a proffecional to apply silicone, it's not as easy as it looks to get a good finish :)

PS: The brand name silicone (unibond) is more expensive for a good reason - It's Better, it really is. cheap once can be runny or go mouldy quickly, some of them are lumpy.......

MM
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I second the leaving the bleach on for a while. I dribble bleach over the sealant and leave it for 4-8 hrs (wash it offf when I remember) and it does get rid of the black mould. I've tried re-sealing and I'm rubbish at it so this is an easier option for me.
  • picklednut
    picklednut Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    How do you get rid of black mould in white sealant around a bath? I've got patches of mould in my sealant and wondered what I could use to get rid of it. Will I have to remove the sealant and put some more round or should I be able to shift the black mould without having to get rid of the sealant?

Thanks in advance
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Once mould is in the sealant its almost impossible to entirely remove it as it can live off the sealant itself. However if you put some toilet paper (get the right length from the roll and then fold it lengthways into about a quarter of its normal width to give you some thickness) along the sealant and soak it in thick bleach overnight, it will take most of the black out of it leaving it a bit discoloured but a lot better.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • harlieeware
    Options
    Have you dried steam cleaning it? You can buy a steam cleaner for mega cheap nowadays, works wonders on tiles and floors!
  • Homeagain
    Options
    I have noticed black mould on the rubber surround on the shower door and have tried scrubbing it with bleach but it just does not come off. Has anyone a better suggestion? It looks awful. Thank you. (Hope I have spelt mould correctly)
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dettol Dettol Mould & Mildew Remover, we use this and it works fine x
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HG Mould Remover - I used this when I had recurrent mould on the bathroom ceiling and walls. Amazingly it cleared it up and made the sealant sparkling white too.
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/20284/HG-Mould-Remover
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family