We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Let's get this sorted then!
Comments
-
I have a regular saver question for those in the know… I made my first payment on 3rd November, so I'm guessing the interest hits and it matures on 2nd November? Or end of October?
Either way, the interest on the RS is 7%, the interest on my roof loan is 8.9%, so once I've made the October payment to the RS I can mentally congratulate myself for completing the year and saving regularly for the first time in 25 years. Then it doesn't make too much difference if I start withdrawing it to pay off the loan. I might lose a few pence in daily interest but I'll still save more in daily interest on the loan. So I could in theory withdraw it at some point in October as long as I leave the account with enough money in it to stay open and then withdraw the interest once it hits and close it?
Does that sound right? I know they will probably tell me all this soon, but I'm so keen to pay this stupid high interest loan off it's consuming my thoughts right now.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1001 -
Regarding the regular saver, depending on the account, whether withdrawals are permitted.
Different regular savers have different maturity dates, likely scenarios are:
- A year after opening
- A year after first funding
- At the end of the month a year after first funding
Well done on saving regularly for a year 👏
Fashion on a ration 2025 0/66 coupons spent
79.5 coupons rolled over 4/75.5 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases
One income, home educating family2 -
Don’t panic if it doesn’t happen until the day or days after the 3rd November. It’s usually exactly one year after opening and it’ll ‘disappear’ from your account for that day it’s processing too. Usually by the day after, it’ll be sitting with its interest renamed in a non-regular savings account.
The first time I did one, I was expecting it to be after the 12th payment but it sits for a full year. Either way, you’re so close to the end. I get quite excited when mine are at that stage 😊.PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
1 -
Thanks @Baileys_Babe I've checked and withdrawals are allowed.
I'm glad you warned me about it disappearing @Dakota_Rose I would have freaked right out!!!
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1002 -
Well. What a week at work that was! You know when you mention a problem, and people ignore it, and you mention it a few more times over a few months, and nothing changes…. and then suddenly everyone's in a panic? Yeah, that.
I didn't do my weekly finance check yesterday, totally forgot, I worked til about 7pm and then needed to lie on the sofa with a glass of wine and watch mindless tv. I've done it now. The two credit card accounts have now been closed. I'm still waiting for the info from Vgin so I can log on to their app and do another balance transfer.
I volunteered for ParkRun this morning but just as a marshal. It's probably for the best that I didn't walk it, as I was out of breath at the end of a 25min dog walk. My short term memory is not great either and I was freezing cold this morning in the house. That's my warning signs that I need to rest, recover, and show myself some TLC.
Today I got 2 new rescue/retired chickens. Apparently they laid for Riverford until retirement - posh! My first two laid for Waitrose and were special breeds and laid coloured eggs. Except my garden was obviously a slum to them and they stopped laying. My second pair were bog standard free range egg factory and laid most days for me. Friends are often shocked at the state of them when I get them, and think they must be rescued from some horrific situation. Nope! This is what they look like when they come from a free range organic farm too. I don't want to upset anyone, I buy eggs from shops too when I need to, but I think it's important to understand the reality of it and make an informed choice. Despite the lack of feathers on their back end they have big red combs so they seem quite healthy and well cared for. I was worried that Claire might get picked on by them as she has one good eye, but one of the new hens also has one good eye! I'm pretty sure they have opposite good eyes too😂 They are in my downstairs bathroom in quarantine at the moment. It's starting to feel normal to have animals in my downstairs bathroom and strange when there's not.
I've brought up all the logs and branches from my alleyway and clearly need to buy more logs for winter. I have some big logs and branches that I need to downsize to fit the log burner. I might do that tomorrow.
I've just lit the log burner, not that it's cold really but just because I like seeing the flames and I'm treating it as a practice run. I had a terrible time getting these logs to burn last winter so I'm hoping more time seasoning will have improved them.
My etoro 90 days is up today and I think I can cash in the shares but I will have a proper look tomorrow.
My wages have all gone, I've had to dip into the emergency buffer, so I'm hoping for very little spending over the next few days. I have plenty of food but the dogs may need to eat kibble for a day or two. I don't have to travel this week for work so let's hope it stays that way as my fuel light is about to come on.
BTW if you haven't seen the different types of combs hens have, have a look - it's fascinating. British Hen Welfare Trust has some nice drawings.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1006 -
I previously had 4 ex-batts but had to rehome them when I moved into the city as strangely foxes are more of a threat here than in the countryside. I reliably got 3 eggs a day from them. So one probably never laid but I didn’t know which. I now buy eggs in the shops but I’m not happy about it. I need to source something different I think.
DFW info LBM: March 26
Total 03/26 69,481
"You put one foot in front of the other and one day you look back and see that you have climbed a mountain" Ready for the climb.💪
2 -
I think you just have to do the best you can in the circumstances @ArtyJ931. I'd love to only buy locally farmed meat where you can be sure of their standards, but sometimes lack of funds or time means I have to buy it from the supermarket. I'm quite lucky with where I live.
Today I didn't quite have enough fuel to get to dog training and back. I tried to put £10 in but the stupid button to set the £10 limit didn't work and I didn't notice til it was on £14. Whilst sat in the car outside training I checked vntd and had £16.30 in there! I've transferred that to my bank. I've also stated the process of selling my etoro shares. I should get £104, which is not bad at all for sticking £200 in there for 90 days.
I had a lovely evening last night with a couple of rums, the log burner on, candles and fairy lights, and some music. I felt like I'd recovered from the week, although getting to bed before 1am would have been wise.
I've cut up the big logs and branches today. That little handheld chain saw thingy has been worth every penny!
The new chooks are finally eating and drinking and getting a bit cheeky, which is a relief. They even laid me 2 eggs today.
I need to do an hour or so work now. I've had a productive day and a lovely nap though.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1003 -
I used to get my veg boxes from Riverford 😆 Someone I used to work with rescued chickens and sold their eggs to colleagues. Personally I can’t eat eggs 🤢 but bought them from her for DS and DD. One of the eggs was blue and DS was cooking it for his breakfast. DD shouted for us to come and witness him cooking the blue egg as if it was going to be poisonous 🤣
Where did you get the handheld chain saw from, it sounds like something I need in my life?
I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping) -.literally have been run over by a bike, mobility scooter and a car - still here 💪1 -
I loved coloured eggs, they can be so pretty!
I'm pretty sure it was from the orange DIY store @Sun_Addict . Some trees in abandoned land at the back of my garden were damaged in a storm and I couldn't get the council out to sort it and tree surgeons wanted a fortune so I bought it to cut off the branches that were hanging over. It wasn't the cheapest tool (I think it was about £60) but much cheaper than paying someone. It's usually called a cordless chainsaw or mini saw. My arthritic hands are very grateful for it!
Mine is the Mac Garden Cordless Chainsaw 150mm if that's helpful to you. I'm pretty sure I've only charged it once in the year too.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1001 -
Didn’t even know small handheld chainsaws was a thing!
Might have to get me one of those when I’m ready to tackle my jungle garden.
Debt free dairy. Busting this debt before 42. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6655663/busting-this-debt-before-42#latest
Starting date January 2026
Car loan: £23,000 / £14,278
Laptop loan: £1,500 / £0
I eat far too much chocolate...2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
