We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Let's get this sorted then!
Comments
-
Well done on the debt busting! It's going to feel even more satisfying once that number starts with a '1' 😉
Debt free dairy. Busting this debt before 42. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6655663/busting-this-debt-before-42#latest
Starting date January 2026
Car loan: £23,000 / £14,278
Laptop loan: £1,500 / £0
I eat far too much chocolate...2 -
I am here for it!!!
Have a little faith, baby, have a little faith". Oddball - Kelly's Heroes2 -
I've had a much quieter week at work, so am feeling a lot less exhausted. I've actually had some time and brain space this week to read something work related for pleasure, and listen to a loosely work related podcast. It's nice to remember what I love about my job, I am more determined to make my back to it (the good bits) over the next year or so.
I've done my end of week finances. I was briefly a little bit disappointed that the numbers haven't moved as much as they have done in previous weeks/months, but that's because I chose to spend some well earned money on some well needed house and life things.
Not much else to report, other than I hope to have a good and slightly productive weekend, but I haven't decided what to do with it yet. Maybe parkrun (walk) in the morning, maybe dog training on Sunday.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1005 -
It’s nice to see you are feeling more positive about work. I’m also in the position of challenging myself to find my way back to the bits I’ve always loved about my job, so I can relate.
All is positive with the money situation if only even small steps of progress are being seen. I think a lot of us are in it for the long game but so want to see progress happening as quickly as possible.PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
4 -
I think it can be so hard at times to see the positives of your job when you are constantly busy or hectic, so it is nice when work slows a bit for you to be able to take stock and find the joy in your work.
3 -
The week started with my dog vomiting and pooping all through Sunday night, until Monday morning she was vomiting blood. The vet thinks it was probably just a bug but I can't see how one dog could pick up a bug and not the other. They eat the same things and go to the same places. £120 vet bill and £50 in extra dog minder visits to check on her while I was at work. Grateful for the emergency fund. Also grateful that she seems relatively back to normal.
I still haven't managed to log in to my Naffwest account to get the £100 compensation from them. I asked them to resend me internet banking registration details, but they haven't. Frustrating! I need a plan B.
I've just noticed that Sky has taken almost double out for my direct debit this month. There was no warning, no letter, no email, nothing. So I've put in a complaint to them too. I'm turning into Victor Meldrew!
I sold a pair of boots on vntd. I've taken a few other bits off as they've been on there a while. The local charity shop is now taking donations again so they can go there.
I have 4 days off work now, but I seem to have things to do every day. I'm not sure how that happened. I'll try and make sure I do something nice on one of the days.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1005 -
I don't know what's happened this weekend, I seem to have been very busy without really achieving much.
I've also spent more money than intended. Some was birthday presents for family members (cheap but all adds up) and I seem to have spent an absolute fortune on fuel this month. We're not even halfway through and my £250 fuel pot has about £30 left in it. I still have to drive localish for work this week and a 3 or 4 hour drive each way for work next week.
I think I'm going to cancel my netflix subscription for a few months. I have a year's free Apple TV that I keep forgetting about, and I mostly watch things on YouTube anyway.
I invited a friend over last night to help me face a big work related task that I have no experience in. I did explain this when I was offered the promotion and was assured by both managers I would be helped every step of the way. One manager then left and the other one has announced he's stepping back from directly working with us. Anyway, I have more of an idea of what's expected now. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I do have to have something written up by the first week of October.
I had intended on starting to empty my shed this weekend, but it has rained constantly and the shed door is now in a mini stream. The wall that diverts all the rain water from the hill into a drain has mysteriously fallen over all by itself. Typically it's happened in the only bit of my garden not covered by security cameras. I'm going to have to put wellies on an brave it in the morning though, as I am absolutely definitely doing a tip run tomorrow. I booked the day off work to do it!
Young dog is feeling much better and went back to dog training today. She absolutely aced it! Considering we were in an echoey carpark with lots of screaming youths she was awesome. She's lead reactive but at the end of class was able to sit next to me while I talked to the rest of the group, mere feet away from 5 other dogs and humans! I would have been pleased if we'd got to this stage after 3 months but we've done it after 3 sessions. I'm so proud of her.
I had someone out today to measure the kitchen. I'll go to the showroom for chats and quotes next month, then spend a couple of months getting quotes from a few other places. I can't get one til the roof loan is paid off but spacing out the quotes should help me keep momentum with clearing the loan.
My battle with Naffwest is ongoing. They are now saying they can't do any more with me via email and I have to log in to continue communicating with them. Except I can't log in, as I don't have my account details, and they suggest logging in to get my account details. I've sent an email asking that they either send me re-registration details or a paper statement. Wish me luck!
ETA - in my procrastination I thought I'd check my pension - the pot has gone from 6k in February to 9.5k in September - woohoooooo!!!! Also procrastinated by checking my tax payments and I'm owed £160 refund - wwwwoooooooohhhhhhhhoooooooooooo!!!
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1003 -
Use the Netflix money for a camera facing this mysterious area, it is so baffling isn't it 🙄
Brilliant pension and tax news 🥂
Ask Naffwest to forward your communications to their complaints department if they're unable to grasp this quite basic concept.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6466032/an-in-between-phase/p1
'aggressive safety shot' Ken Doherty2 -
Baffling @PennysIntoPounds ! Right under the gate between me and the neighbour too, and I'm not aware of that gate having been used. I had blocked it off so the dogs can't get down there where I can't see them.
Anyway! How old do I feel today? I had a day's annual leave and emptied the shed, and did a run to the tip. There was no queue, only one other car there, two people able to help me, fantastic experience!! Definitely worth me booking a day's leave and I'm not even being sarcastic about that. I still have to put the things I'm keeping back in there but I think I want to get some clear storage boxes for the smaller tools. I found my axe so I can cut down the logs that are too big for my log burner. There were things in that shed that I shoved in there shortly after moving in, in 2018. I am feeling very pleased with myself for tackling such a massive, horrible, dirty, gross job.
I celebrated with a pie from a fantastic place that has just moved to the industrial estate near the tip. It might just have been the best pie I've had since leaving NZ. £2 for a mini beef pie but there was probably more meat in there than most full size supermarket pies. It was just enough with chips and peas for my tea. I also had a Manchester tart pot for the first time and that was spectacular too. I think that was £2.50. I had a good scrub in the shower, put some comfies on, ate my tea and pudding, and had a glass of prosecco left over from the weekend.
It has been a lovely day.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1003 -
That sounds blimmin fabulous 🥂
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6466032/an-in-between-phase/p1
'aggressive safety shot' Ken Doherty3
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

