We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Let's get this sorted then!
Comments
-
As long as the payments are the same or less than the roof loan I can probably afford it @jwil . I'll see how it all works out though.
I have installed Hetty's new hose. It's not sucking as strongly as the original Hetty hose did, but it's still better than the cordless or robot vacuum. Not bad for less than £20 and I've used one of the attachments for the first time.
I've started updating my outgoings spreadsheet. My DD for gas and electric has gone down by £20 but my water SO has gone up by £10. I updated a few other things too, but I'll do another final check next week as I need redo my car insurance so that will change.
I had intended to do a bit of work this weekend but I have not. I've painted more garden wall today, I've washed the sofa seat cushions and put them back on, hoovered the living room and sofa, cleaned the coops, and done some dishes. I've had a nap. I think I want to give my body some attention this evening, have a good scrub in the shower, wash and deep condition my hair, and maybe do a facial or my nails.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1003 -
AAARRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
When I got a new phone in June I transferred everything over to my new phone but the Naffwest app wouldn't transfer the info. As I don't owe them any money at the moment I kept putting it off, until today. I don't have the credit card as it was a balance transfer only. I have searched my emails and I can't find anything with an account number or customer number on. I've tried to guess my login details but failed. I could only speak to the bot who just sent me round and round in circles for about 20 mins. I can't log in. I can't re-register. I can't close my account.
The only thing I could do was make a complaint. That's something I guess. I was leaving the account open for now with a zero balance to improve my credit score until I needed to do another bank transfer but honestly, it's been nothing but trouble with them. I had to make a complaint about them last year too. I just want to close it now. I can't deal with them anymore!!
I need ice cream.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1003 -
That sounds excruciating Rhyd, I am getting angry anxiety just reading about it! Why are institutions like this aaarrrggghhhh
Sounds like complaint was appropriate anyway so at least you're justified in going straight there. Get yer compo face on
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6466032/an-in-between-phase/p1
'aggressive safety shot' Ken Doherty1 -
I'm hoping that if they reply to the complaint at least I'll have had contact from an actual being @PennysIntoPounds
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1001 -
I would suggest going into a branch, but the days of being able to do that are long gone I fear
Unsecured debt at Worst June 2024 - £47,772.48Current unsecured debt Aug 2026 - £27,160.69Debt gone forever - 26 months - £20,611.79 (43%)Debt free date goal December 2027
Mortgage Oct 2025 £180,386 - Currently £176,289.
Overpayments: 2025 £436.14, 2026 £374.94EF £7,588.33/£10,0001 -
After yet another very frustrating day at work, I've had a quick look for jobs, only found worse ones, so decided to stick it a bit longer but but pay for myself to do some additional niche training. Yes, more money to spend, and I can't believe I have to go do more training after all the years I've spent in uni. I'll see if work will pay for the cheapest one, but I have been asking since the end of last year and I'm not prepared to wait any longer. The first one is only £199 so not too bad. It starts in January, just two hours a month for 5 months.
As a weird co-incidence as I was looking into short niche courses I got an email to say the company I was looking at was developing a very niche course relevant to my career. They're looking for feedback on their initial ideas. I think that's a sign! (I know it probably sounds like an algorithm scam but I promise it's not, I have met the guy that emailed, in real life, more than once). I think the next few months of my life might be less MSE and more about improving it (and my house). Obviously I will still work hard to clear my debts. I just think I've got to the point where I need to stop putting everything off until I've cleared the debts. There has to be more to life than just getting those numbers down.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1007 -
It’s important to have a life while clearing debts even if that means it takes longer.
I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping) -.literally have been run over by a bike, mobility scooter and a car - still here 💪2 -
Another evening of going straight to bed after work. I've had a blinding headache all afternoon.
I really need to get up though, a friend is calling over tomorrow and I've done no housework all week. It's also the day before payday so I need to work out what's going where.
I've got 2 months of expenses coming so should be enough to replenish the emergency fund and pay for the course. I need to get an advisory done on my car but I think I'll get a quote and put away half this month and get it done next month.
Last night I wrote out a bit of a plan for clearing the loan by the end of January. That will be exciting if I can do it. It's good to have these shorter focused goals to keep the motivation/dopamine going.
I really need to do a proper overhaul/audit soon though, I've slipped a bit on the good financial habits I'd been building with all the stress of the last few months. Not so bad that it's had a major impact on the debt repayment but I still want to nip it in the bud and get back to things being more intentional.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1005 -
The course sounds like a good idea. You have to invest in yourself. I started my professional qualification self funded when I was surviving on pennies and tins of chickpeas. I earned 13.5k. I earn 6x that amount now. I would have never got here without my qualifications.
Unsecured debt at Worst June 2024 - £47,772.48Current unsecured debt Aug 2026 - £27,160.69Debt gone forever - 26 months - £20,611.79 (43%)Debt free date goal December 2027
Mortgage Oct 2025 £180,386 - Currently £176,289.
Overpayments: 2025 £436.14, 2026 £374.94EF £7,588.33/£10,0002 -
I planned out my spends and then found myself getting anxious that there wasn't enough. Then I gave myself a good talking too because there was enough for necessary things and a few unnecessary things too. I'm very lucky that I earn enough that I could decide to make all my debt payments, and get a haircut, and put money aside towards car repairs next month. I just needed to sit with the numbers for a minute and really realise that this was me choosing to spend my wages in that way and I could also make different choices with it if I wanted to.
Honestly, so much of this debt repayment journey is seeing all the ways my brain plays tricks on me and figuring out ways to keep it in check.
I've started moving the money around but some won't be done until the start of the month. I'm looking forward to updating my signature!
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1008
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

