We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Let's get this sorted then!
Comments
-
Naffwest have given me my customer ID number and I've managed to guess the rest and get logged in.
So now how do I spend the £100 compensation that's on that credit card when I don't physically have the card. My main focus right now is the loan but I can't pay the loan with the credit card. I've already done my online food shop for the month.
I'm wondering whether to balance transfer £100 from one of my existing credit cards? It's the easiest way I can think of to use it up. It won't be off my priority debt but it will still be off the debt and it was free money. I'll have to pay a £2.90 fee but that's still £97.10 free money off my overall debt.
Anything obvious I'm missing?
I don't want to wait til next month for more (cash) options because I've hated every minute of being with NW and I want the card closed asap.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1001 -
Hi there. You can ask the credit card company to transfer a credit balance to your bank account. Hope this helps!
2 -
Hi, I would BT it to. Just to get it wrapped up. Like you say, it doesn't matter where, it's going to reduce your debt. V x
2 -
Thanks both.
I'll see if they'll transfer the money into my bank account, but if that fails I'll do a little balance transfer so I can get it closed and move on.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1001 -
Your post brought a smile to my face…. lovely to read about such a happy positive day. Well done you! :) XX
I Believe.....
That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy2 -
I called Naffwest yesterday and despite their many attempts to not speak to me I persevered and got them to agree to transfer the £100 to my bank account. They wanted to transfer it back to the account it came from, it took some explaining to get them to realise it was compensation from them so I wanted it transferred to my own account. It's no longer showing on my credit card, but it's also not showing in my bank account. They said it could take until Tuesday at 6pm so I don't want to close the cc yet just in case.
I'll use it to pay an extra £100 off my loan.
In other cc news, I have applied for a new balance transfer card. I didn't need to do it til December but I was feeling antsy. Also, if I want my credit score to bounce back in the new year it's better that I do it a bit sooner.
£200 withdrawn from my etoro account for the free shares. I've paid it off the loan. I'll be able to cash the shares in by the end of the month.
I'm looking forward to sorting these cards out, closing down old cc accounts, and not thinking about them again for a while.
Funds are very low, it's going to be a tight 2 weeks til payday. I'm getting through far too much fuel, my light is on and I have two long drives for work next week. I only have £25 left in the monthly fuel pot. I guess that's what the emergency buffer is for, but I think I've used it every month for the past few months. I need to come up with a better budget, but I think it's been for different reasons each month. I'll have a think.
My plan this weekend is to volunteer at park run Saturday, dog training on Sunday, and sorting out the attic office in between. And all the usual house work and chores of course.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1006 -
Could you use some of the compensation money to top the car up?
In future could you have a separate pot for fuel for work which you replenish when your expenses are paid? So you are always in a position to be able to get to work without needing to cut back in other areas of your life.
Fashion on a ration 2025 0/66 coupons spent
79.5 coupons rolled over 4/75.5 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases
One income, home educating family2 -
I have roughly 250 a month for fuel @Baileys_Babe. I have a credit card with a 500 limit which I clear every payday, roughly split in half, but this month it'll be about 220 food and 280 fuel.
I could use the compensation but the loan is being charged at 8.9% interest and I get about 1.5% interest on my emergency buffer.
I've just filled up to get me through this week hopefully but diesel prices are ridiculous at the moment 😭
I got absolutely drenched at parkrun this morning, so I went back to bed to warm up. I've been out to get enough dog food for the rest of the month and moved the surplus money across to my main account. They'll be eating quite a few eggs over the next ten days 😆
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1005 -
£100 compensation has arrived into my bank account and gone straight back out to the loan. £4250 left owing on it and still determined to clear it by new year 🤞🏼
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1008 -
Lloyds balance is transferred to new virgin cc.
I've applied to close the naffwest credit card and the lloyds credit card.
I'm contemplating transferring a bit of the Bclaycard to the virgin CC, as there's no transfer fee and my credit score will look better if neither card is being used to 90%. I suppose it doesn't make too much difference in the long run, but in the short run I might need all the help I can get to stay at 'fair' for potential kitchen interest free credit purposes next year.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1003
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
