We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Let's get this sorted then!
Comments
-
Thanks everyone. I've buried her near the fruit bushes that she loved so much.
My odd job man finally came to measure up and give me a quote. He's going to try to get the job done on Thursday. I'm doing the usually round and round thoughts of it being a waste of money and the work not being a priority blah blah blah. Anyway, the plan is that my fuse box and electricity meter will be boxed in, a skirting board will be put on to the newly (ahem, 7 years ago) plastered living room wall, and my gutter and drainpipe fixed and replaced on my conservatory.
I took a few hours of flexi this morning to do some housework instead doing it over the weekend. It feels so nice.
Weekly finance update done.
monthly big scary check done.
assets 128,595 – debts 114,347 = net worth £14,248
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1003 -
I somehow managed to both sleep a lot and do a lot on the weekend. Little dog had her assessment and we can join the dog training group from September. It's a mix of obedience and socialising, she doesn't really need the obedience but she loves 'working' and learning new things. That will be a big expense because it's a monthly fee and you can go as often as you like. I'll have to find out how much and plan it in. If I don't join in September it could be a few months before there's another gap. And this is all part of the grand master plan of getting a bit of a life.
I've picked 2 pineapple squashes (Yugoslavian Finger Fruit) but haven't used them yet. Apparently they cook and eat like a courgette so I don't know why I'm putting it off. I've nothing else much from the garden so I should be excited. Note to self, chickens don't pinch white fruit/veg. Grow more.
I ran for a few minutes on Sunday, spur of the moment as someone with a dog was being overly chatty when I had my reactive dog with me. I don't think I've ever really run with her, she loved it. I have managed to work today and not crashed so it's giving me hope that I can build up to running again.
Called in to a friend's house Sunday and pinched some home grown tomatoes off them. I've only managed to grow 2 so far myself.
Realised late last night that the wrong strength prescription has been sent to me. Email sent but no reply yet.
New dog minder came today to meet the dogs properly and get a key. I have a 3.5h drive to work tomorrow, 2 to 3h visit, and 3.5h drive back. I will be buying food, snacks, and caffeine along the way. I'll get into better habits at some point but right now I just need to survive the day however I can.
Garden watered, duck pool cleaned and refilled, patio swept.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1003 -
I like to grow bits in my garden, mainly in containers and grow bags. I’ve had far less tomatoes than I normally get this year which I am putting down to the heat. My blueberry bushes have burnt to a crisp and I’m not sure they will recover. What fruit I did get on them my dog kindly ate!
Find a little bit of joy in every day.
1 -
Yesterday was a killer, 4h drive each way and a road closure meant I had to find an alternative route through tiny country lanes where we had to keep reversing to let each other pass.
The new dog minder worked well, although I did come home to a poop on the floor. That's the longest they've ever been left home alone and I still remember the time I couldn't leave them for 6 minutes to go to the shop.
Odd job man came today and I now have a skirting board (wrong size but I don't care), and I have new guttering and a downpipe on the conservatory. I need to get those things these stops leaves going in but can you get them for square pipes? I've only seen round ones.
I have my electricity meter boxed in too. None of these were priority essential jobs, but they were all jobs that I've been looking at for 6 to 8 years. I can look at them and see why my job is worth doing.
My car passed its MOT today but I'm not sure it should have. It had warning lights on as soon as I started it. I have a nail in one tyre and another is on the limit. I'll get them done Friday or Saturday before another long drive on Tuesday. I'll get the advisories done after payday.
So things are not so dire as I thought they might be this month. My £250 buffer should cover the car repairs and dog minder and the odd jobs were covered by the money I'd put aside for kitchen tiles.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1005 -
I was brave. I was sent the wrong strength medication on my private prescription. Despite giving me the correct strength in April they hadn't updated the repeat prescription. I pointed it out and they changed it but said I'd have to purchase the new meds and sent an invoice.
I replied thanking them for updating it but gently reminding them that it was their mistake and I couldn't reduce back down now.
They've agreed to send me a top up strength free of charge for 3 months! Slightly inconvenient having to remember I need both to give me the correct strength but the invoice was for £190 so I've saved myself a fair bit by gently persisting!
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1005 -
well done on being persistent about the prescription charges, they shouldn’t expect you to pay for their mistake!
I don’t envy you that drive, especially in that heat. I hate driving through lanes because of having to reverse!
Find a little bit of joy in every day.
2 -
Thanks @RhiBi it's exactly that. I don't mind driving long distances, I don't mind driving in new areas, but driving for miles through tiny twisting country lanes I hate. In some places the banks are 6ft high so you can't see more than 4ft in front of you. Unfortunately there seems to be quite a bit of it with my new job. I won't be doing it in winter!
I've just dug up some free potatoes from my garden. They had volunteered in the ground in front of my compost bin. I love free food!
I've taken down the big table from my garden as I haven't used it at all this year, and I've moved the duck pool to that space for a bit. It's on slate chippings so might keep the water a little cleaner for longer. It gives the dusty soil in the old patch chance to recover too.
Last night I had a mojito with mint from my garden, it was delicious! I've chopped some of it back now (I have many many patches) as despite the flowers looking lovely I'd quite like some new fresh leaves for more mojitos!
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1005 -
I've had lots of sleep but this is the first week in a while that I haven't physically crashed from working all the hours.
I listened to The Richest Man in Babylon while I did garden work yesterday and today. It's only 4h long so it's finished.
I've spent a bit more money getting gutter guards and throws for the sofa. I've got my new back tyres and got my mid month food shop. I've paid the new dog minder and it was less than I expected.
I made a big lasagne with pork and venison mince. It made 6 portions to freeze plus a single lasagne for my tea and some sauce left for lunch tomorrow.
Debts 04/01/25 01/09/26
Natwest X2 £14,122.71 -
Barclaycard - £9,977
Lloyds CC £6,112.60 £3,595
1st Direct CC £176.03 £31.47
CC total £20,411.34 £13,603.47
OD £1100 £0
Car loan £4,000 £2,600
1st Direct Loan £10,684.44 £4,550
Total £36,195.78 £20,753.47
EF £2,550
HF £1002 -
I’m glad sleep has helped you to cope with work this week.
well done on the lasagne, since being on my own I am really struggling to cook. I go through phases of batch cooking, then lose motivation with it all. Living on toast is not sustainable though!Find a little bit of joy in every day.
2 -
Just trying to catch up after being MIA. your last two posts sound so wholesome. Home grown food, audiobooks, the duck pond. Lady you are so rich in life, even if your health has taken a batering recently, and work is exhausting. You have built such an oasis. You should be so proud of yourself for building this life.
S
Unsecured debt at Worst June 2024 - £47,772.48Current unsecured debt Aug 2026 - £27,160.69Debt gone forever - 26 months - £20,611.79 (43%)Debt free date goal December 2027
Mortgage Oct 2025 £180,386 - Currently £176,289.
Overpayments: 2025 £436.14, 2026 £374.94EF £7,588.33/£10,0006
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards