We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Next steps; grip-relaxing bimbling, and avoiding the temptations

1…8385878889

Comments

  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 5,005
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Ooh ginger, lemon & honey cake sounds delicious. Where did you find the recipe?

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys October £ 64.19

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  443/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 22 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 11,399
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I've made it up, to be honest. I did find one online that I might adapt (at Pinch of Saffron). I will share mine after the show if it works. I want the honey flavour to be front and centre and that online one had just too much heavy hitting alternative flavour.

    Save £12k in 2026 #2 I have banked £10,836.47 in 9 months, against a £10k target The Save £12k in 2026 thread is here
    OS Grocery Challenge in 2026 I have a £3000 annual budget for 2026 - currently £1971.56 to the end of Sep
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the grow your own in 2027 thread brand new and sparkling - feel free to join us and say what and how you are planning
    My keep within our budget diary is here
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 11,399
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    First attempt - too little mix for the tray - too much lemon, too sweet. In the bin.

    Trying a different recipe with half the sugar swapped for honey - in the oven but it might be a bit too wet by the looks of it raw.

    Save £12k in 2026 #2 I have banked £10,836.47 in 9 months, against a £10k target The Save £12k in 2026 thread is here
    OS Grocery Challenge in 2026 I have a £3000 annual budget for 2026 - currently £1971.56 to the end of Sep
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the grow your own in 2027 thread brand new and sparkling - feel free to join us and say what and how you are planning
    My keep within our budget diary is here
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 11,399
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Hmm, it tastes lovely, took an additional 15 minutes but I need to rethink cutting it with nuts on top as they deflect the knife from the straight line cuts. The honey is also barely evident. I think I shall make it again with more honey, less sugar and sprinkle the top with Demerara sugar and possibly oats or seeds rather than nuts. I might try smaller eggs too as it was a bit wet and a bit too cakey for a tray bake. Maybe I should try coating the nuts with honey and baking them before adding to the mix, to fix the flavour. So many variants!

    Save £12k in 2026 #2 I have banked £10,836.47 in 9 months, against a £10k target The Save £12k in 2026 thread is here
    OS Grocery Challenge in 2026 I have a £3000 annual budget for 2026 - currently £1971.56 to the end of Sep
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the grow your own in 2027 thread brand new and sparkling - feel free to join us and say what and how you are planning
    My keep within our budget diary is here
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 11,399
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Oh and fortunately, we are off out for breakfast at 10 so I have a cake outlet - or I could take it to the Church where I am recording the Historic Churches Ride, stride and walk participants from 12-1pm - something for their lunch boxes perhaps.

    In non-cake news (sorry) I have the nematodes to water round my fruit trees to try and reduce the plum and codling moth infestations which took 40% of the plums and all the apples except maybe 10% this year - and that 10% had cork spot so none of them will store. Mr Sl has been raking up the drop fruit from under the trees. I need to use them by 17th so this afternoon is that time.

    Save £12k in 2026 #2 I have banked £10,836.47 in 9 months, against a £10k target The Save £12k in 2026 thread is here
    OS Grocery Challenge in 2026 I have a £3000 annual budget for 2026 - currently £1971.56 to the end of Sep
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the grow your own in 2027 thread brand new and sparkling - feel free to join us and say what and how you are planning
    My keep within our budget diary is here
  • Makingabobor2
    Makingabobor2 Posts: 5,005
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Sounds like so many options…lol

    Making the debt go down and savings go up

    LBM 2015 - debt £57K / Now £25,664....its going down

     Mortgage Free December 9th 2024! 
    18mths ahead of schedule.  

    Challenges

    EF  £290/3000


    Studies/surveys October £ 64.19

    Decluttering items 1400/
    2025.  443/2026
    Books read   2025/23   2026- 22 (target is 52)  
    Jigsaws done  20 in 2025.  5 in 2026

    My debt free diary...https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6396218/we-will-get-this-debt-d£own-the-savings-up


  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 8,695
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I love this forum. Off to research nematodes. I have hardly any apples this year, the few that did appear have been eaten by my darling dog. I seem to have a lot of apple problems according to the internet.

    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

    In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 11,399
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    The nematodes came from the N-direct site and I bought two boxes, enough for 16 trees. I have several damsons, one or two hedgerow mirabelles, a Victoria plum, a greengage, four apples and a crab apple tree. All the apples were covered in the cobwebs of codling moth which then develop into "maggoty apples" with the little larvae often inside, causing the fruits to rot from the core. The cork spot is a calcium deficiency - either inconsistent watering (tick this year) or diversion into leaf-making (tick, we pruned it to encourage growth on one side that had previously been in a hedge that Mr Sl had planted without permission in the wrong place).

    The N-people do a veg patch mix that covers both plum moth and codling moth. It doesn't help with cork spot (spongy brown speckles under the skin). My first time trying them. It would also see off a range of other pollinators so we are restricting where and how we water it (a pressurised pump spray, on the branches and around the trunks. I try to tolerate the cabbage whites that are in the same area.

    Save £12k in 2026 #2 I have banked £10,836.47 in 9 months, against a £10k target The Save £12k in 2026 thread is here
    OS Grocery Challenge in 2026 I have a £3000 annual budget for 2026 - currently £1971.56 to the end of Sep
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the grow your own in 2027 thread brand new and sparkling - feel free to join us and say what and how you are planning
    My keep within our budget diary is here
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 13,755
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Ohhh, thanks for the timely reminder about nematodes. Meant to order some last week but it went completely out of my head. I need to get ahead of the Evil Weevil in my heucherella pots.

    Cake experimentation sounding interesting. I'm sure one of the Cranks books had a honey cake recipe.

    2026's challenges: 1) To rebuild our Emergency Fund to at least £5k.
    2) To read 50 books (12/50) 3) The Re-Shrinking of Foxgloves 8.1kg/30kg
    Remember....if you have to put it on a credit card, extend your overdraft or take out a loan to buy whatever it is, you probably can't afford it, as that's not your money, it's somebody else's!
  • that cake sounds like it could be used as a cough remedy. Let us know how it works out for you

    June 2026, Mortgage free, Emergency fund fully funded & £200/200 cash maximum pb holding .:jWeight 12st challenge 11st 2lb

    Gift to children challenge £40k in 2 years. Short term gift challenge 7 presents and $1300 can by September.

    Determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection. I’m not perfect but I’m good enough.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6673398/hopefully-cruising-with-focus-towards-retirement#latest
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.