IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

I have a PCN for a private parking company (groupnexus)

Options
The reason I got this was because I was doing Amazon delivery, with absolutely no legal places to park at all. So if i return the packages, amazon punishes me, if i stay and do the delivery, i get a fine... it's just not fair at all. it's exploitative and predatory. i'm tempted to take this to court. what should i do?

Comments

• Joe_641
    Joe_641 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

This is the PCN
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Joe_641 said:
    The reason I got this was because I was doing Amazon delivery, with absolutely no legal places to park at all. So if i return the packages, amazon punishes me, if i stay and do the delivery, i get a fine... it's just not fair at all. it's exploitative and predatory. i'm tempted to take this to court. what should i do?
    As the PCN is some 4 months old, it is too late for any appeal, so you just need to wait to see what Group Nexus' next move is.  Have you had nothing further from them, or debt collectors working on their behalf? 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Joe_641
    First Post
    Options
    Umkomaas said:
    Joe_641 said:
    As the PCN is some 4 months old, it is too late for any appeal, so you just need to wait to see what Group Nexus' next move is.  Have you had nothing further from them, or debt collectors working on their behalf? 
    Hi,

Nothing at all. I've asked my local MP to help lol through them I found out the fine increased to £170 but they apparently kindly reduced it to £100, I never knew they increased it or had any warnings at all.. Even now, they're not replying to any of my emails about a payment plan or anything like that at all..

What would my chances be in court since I was doing a delivery job to people living there and had no where legal to park?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You'd win. Jopson v Homeguard applies.  Search the forum or Google.

DO NOT PAY ANYTHING.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you're hearing nothing from anyone at present (or since the first GN letter), go to the GN website and login to check the current status of the charge. Very few PPCs notify the motorist of them cancelling the charge. Maybe the intervention of your MP might have caused them to extract themselves. Just a thought ....
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Nellymoser
    Nellymoser Posts: 348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 2 May at 8:34AM
    Options
    I found Nexus to be greedy unprofessional and incompetent. Their practice is littered with errors and code breaches. They won't like your MP pointing out their failings and may opt to cancel pcn to avoid MP thinking their a 'cowboy' company.

And like you so many people don't receive 1st/2nd pcn but the £170 payment due letter often manages to drop through letter boxes. PPCs always claim discounted/full rate pcn/court claim letters were sent though offer no evidence to prove this. A letter's issue date is not it's sending date nor does it prove the letter was sent.

Since PPCs CHOOSE NOT to provide evidence of their posting date and delivery we must continue to press gov to ensure they do. Please sign/share @jmccabe petition. Closes 22nd june 2024.
    Require communications from Private Parking companies to be traceable/trackable.
    Thanks
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It isn't a "fine" it's a speculative invoice, it didn't increase a scummy pointless debt collector added a fee for doing diddly squat don't fall for that one.
    Also the PCN seems to be forbidding so no parking contract could be formed.
    Depending where this was (their PCN is vague to say the least) you might even find that Millwall Dock is still operated under Byelaws:

• Joe_641
    First Post
    Options

DO NOT PAY ANYTHING.
    Hi,

Can you explain this in more detail, and maybe send me screenshots of parts that would confirm I'd win in court please?

Thanks
  • Joe_641
    First Post
    Options
    fisherjim said:
    It isn't a "fine" it's a speculative invoice, it didn't increase a scummy pointless debt collector added a fee for doing diddly squat don't fall for that one.
    Also the PCN seems to be forbidding so no parking contract could be formed.
    Depending where this was (their PCN is vague to say the least) you might even find that Millwall Dock is still operated under Byelaws:

Hi,

So what should my next steps be please? They've increased the fine to £170, even after ignoring all my emails asking for payment plans in the past couple weeks. They have since sent me a reply today saying it's increased to £170, due to late payment of £100...
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Joe_641 said:

DO NOT PAY ANYTHING.
    Hi,

Can you explain this in more detail, and maybe send me screenshots of parts that would confirm I'd win in court please?

Thanks
    No, you just need to read the NEWBIES thread.

And Google Jopson v Homeguard.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback