We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should my husband stop lending money to his parents?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,973 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Parents helping their children is one thing, but the other way round, except in emergency, is not going to make for a great relationship. I wonder what started this all off?
    Yes, if it is not affecting your own household's finances, maybe let it go, but it does sound as if your in-laws need some budgeting advice to avoid future loans.
  • Scriv_2
    Scriv_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't ask to borrow money from anyone, least of all my own children. Lending money to family or friends usually leads to resentment unless you have a fixed agreed payment plan, ie £x per week / month until it is paid off. Otherwise as this person has stated, it is natural to say 'well they can afford to buy x,y and z but they haven't paid me back yet'. Would you be happier with this arrangement? I don't think it is unreasonable to say you will lend the money on this condition. Say your finances have changed (make up something relevant) and you have additional monthly expenses. I don't think there are many people who could afford to lend large sums of money with no clue as to when it will be paid back, and it is unreasonable and unacceptable to ask to do this. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure