£5 note has disappeared from cash machines

Options

Comments

• Ginger_gav
    Ginger_gav Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    By law link ensures that branches and bank have fiver providers in ATMs as a matter of legislation so you should always find one quite often
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    By law link ensures that branches and bank have fiver providers in ATMs as a matter of legislation so you should always find one quite often
    Please clarify specifically which legislation you're referring to, as well as what you actually mean by 'fiver providers in ATMs'?
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WillPS said:
    WillPS said:
    molerat said:
    I regularly use the one and only £5 note machine in my local town.
    Set the filter to £5 and there are loads around.

It’s not very accurate though - shows a Natwest near me as dispensing £5 notes, when I know from using it that it’s only £10 or £20. Also doesn’t tell you that many of the results are machines that charge for withdrawals

Have you checked every machine, inside and out? Often only one machine in a large branch will do £5 notes. It's hardly ever marked but staff will know.
    It's not much use if the only machines dispensing £5 notes are inside the bank, since they're hardly ever open. I'll carry on using the Post Office, which is open all day six days a week
    That as may be, it's wrong to call out the locator as inaccurate if there is a £5 note dispensing machine at the location specified...
    Fair enough - I’d thought it was talking about hole-in-the-wall atms. While the bank’s open you can presumably get £5 notes over the counter too, so the site isn’t as much use if you’re trying to use it in the afternoon/at the weekend
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,561 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    WillPS said:
    WillPS said:
    molerat said:

It’s not very accurate though - shows a Natwest near me as dispensing £5 notes, when I know from using it that it’s only £10 or £20. Also doesn’t tell you that many of the results are machines that charge for withdrawals

Have you checked every machine, inside and out? Often only one machine in a large branch will do £5 notes. It's hardly ever marked but staff will know.
    It's not much use if the only machines dispensing £5 notes are inside the bank, since they're hardly ever open. I'll carry on using the Post Office, which is open all day six days a week
    That as may be, it's wrong to call out the locator as inaccurate if there is a £5 note dispensing machine at the location specified...
    Fair enough - I’d thought it was talking about hole-in-the-wall atms. While the bank’s open you can presumably get £5 notes over the counter too, so the site isn’t as much use if you’re trying to use it in the afternoon/at the weekend
    Only if you're a customer of that bank and the counter is open. Any cardholder with a card from a LINK member can use a LINK cash machine for withdrawals - inside or out. That's the whole purpose of the checker.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The last time I used a cash machine that offered fivers was over 25 years ago at university!

I get the odd £5 now and again as cashback from my local Co-op when I'm shopping. Is that still a thing elsewhere? Saves a trip to the cash machine.
  • FarmGirl78
    FarmGirl78 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    molerat said:

I'm really surprised there are so many ATMs that dispense fivers about. I didn't know they existed. I can't recall ever having fivers from an ATM, although a dare say it may have happened and I've just forgotten. 
    I've read somewhere, and I just can't find it now, that fivers in cashpoints is an initiative in 'poorer' areas (I mean that very vaguely) to make it less likely that people will strech to a tenner they don't really want and can't _really_ afford to break. So if you've never come across them, you can safely assume you're posh and rich 🤣.

The Post Office typically have them in their machines too.
  • GibbsRule_No3.
    GibbsRule_No3. Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    molerat said:

I'm really surprised there are so many ATMs that dispense fivers about. I didn't know they existed. I can't recall ever having fivers from an ATM, although a dare say it may have happened and I've just forgotten. 
    I've read somewhere, and I just can't find it now, that fivers in cashpoints is an initiative in 'poorer' areas (I mean that very vaguely) to make it less likely that people will strech to a tenner they don't really want and can't _really_ afford to break. So if you've never come across them, you can safely assume you're posh and rich 🤣.

The Post Office typically have them in their machines too.
    I hope the people in Richmond Upon Thames know they are in a "poor" area, could someone let Khan know so we can have a reduced Council Tax?
    Paddle No 21:wave:
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Virgin bank gives out a mixture of £20 £10 and £5 for a £100 withdrawal
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Stuart_W said:
    The last time I used a cash machine that offered fivers was over 25 years ago at university!

I get the odd £5 now and again as cashback from my local Co-op when I'm shopping. Is that still a thing elsewhere? Saves a trip to the cash machine.
    Lidl, Aldi, Morrisons and Sainsbury's also still do cashback at staffed tills, up to £50 per transaction. Morrisons also gives cashback at the self-service tills, but only if you use a "card and cash" till. 

I always get the max cashback whenever I shop at these locations, for reasons I won't go into here.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,561 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Virgin bank gives out a mixture of £20 £10 and £5 for a £100 withdrawal

It depends which specific location and machine you use; like every other bank.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback