£5 note has disappeared from cash machines

Options

Comments

• Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The only time I've seen a machine that gave £5 notes was when I was at university 25 years ago. 
  • Speedbird676
    Speedbird676 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    molerat said:
    I regularly use the one and only £5 note machine in my local town.
    Set the filter to £5 and there are loads around.

According to this there are three within ten minutes walk from me - Natwest, Barclays, and Post Office.
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    wiseonesomeofthetime Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 11 April at 5:40PM
    Options
    Took two x £5 out of an ATM yesterday. Barclays, Stratford upon Avon
  • Martyn_H
    Martyn_H Posts: 481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I rarely use cash but if I want to change a £20 note, I buy something cheap in a supermarket and pay using an automated till. That way, I've got a tenner, a fiver, over four quid in coins, and no checkout assistant asking me if I've got anything smaller.
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    molerat said:

It’s not very accurate though - shows a Natwest near me as dispensing £5 notes, when I know from using it that it’s only £10 or £20. Also doesn’t tell you that many of the results are machines that charge for withdrawals
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TimeLord1 said:
    OK it seems £5 notes are becoming extinct so budgeting using cash the minimum seems to be £10 from a cash machines, even post office doesn't seem to have them, also what I have noticed is the amount of £50 notes usage has increased, if you're withdrawing money, will the £5 note become a coin like the pound note. I know they done commemorative £5 coins in the past, I hope it remains a note. 
    I recently got a bunch of £5 notes from the Post Office - guess it depends where you are. And I don’t remember the last time I saw a £50 - definitely not from an atm, probably birthday money
  • PocketWatchMan
    PocketWatchMan Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Martyn_H said:
    I rarely use cash but if I want to change a £20 note, I buy something cheap in a supermarket and pay using an automated till. That way, I've got a tenner, a fiver, over four quid in coins, and no checkout assistant asking me if I've got anything smaller.

Do you often get the checkout assistant querying the size of your notes??!

Still, on the bright side, you've given a multi-multi million pound company some of your labour for free. Always good to know you've done your bit to boost a billionaire's profits. :)
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,561 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    molerat said:

It’s not very accurate though - shows a Natwest near me as dispensing £5 notes, when I know from using it that it’s only £10 or £20. Also doesn’t tell you that many of the results are machines that charge for withdrawals

Have you checked every machine, inside and out? Often only one machine in a large branch will do £5 notes. It's hardly ever marked but staff will know.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,674 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    marcia_ said:
     I've only ever found £5 in Barclays machines. Went out of my way when i had less than £10 in the bank. 
    Natwest machine still gives them out, got one last weekend
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback