£5 note has disappeared from cash machines

Options

Comments

• lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Halifax near me only dispenses £5 notes. However the branch is closing this year.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    molerat said:
    I regularly use the one and only £5 note machine in my local town.
    Set the filter to £5 and there are loads around.

It’s not very accurate though - shows a Natwest near me as dispensing £5 notes, when I know from using it that it’s only £10 or £20. Also doesn’t tell you that many of the results are machines that charge for withdrawals
    I'm really surprised there are so many ATMs that dispense fivers about. I didn't know they existed. I can't recall ever having fivers from an ATM, although a dare say it may have happened and I've just forgotten. 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April at 3:48PM
    Options
    molerat said:

It’s not very accurate though - shows a Natwest near me as dispensing £5 notes, when I know from using it that it’s only £10 or £20. Also doesn’t tell you that many of the results are machines that charge for withdrawals
    You mean the purple ones which show the actual charge when you click on them :)

• GreenScepter
    GreenScepter Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Most ATMs I see don't have them but there's one inside my local NatWest branch that does. Even has a big red sticker to let people know that that ATM gives fivers. There's also one inside the Nationwide branch, the screen says what notes it can give which is handy.
  • GibbsRule_No3.
    GibbsRule_No3. Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I used the cash machine inside Nationwide, Richmond, Surrey today and received £5, £10 and £20s making up the £100.
    Paddle No 21:wave:
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    molerat said:
    molerat said:

only if you open the website on a computer - it's not showing the charge on my phone's browser :)
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WillPS said:
    molerat said:

Have you checked every machine, inside and out? Often only one machine in a large branch will do £5 notes. It's hardly ever marked but staff will know.
    It's not much use if the only machines dispensing £5 notes are inside the bank, since they're hardly ever open. I'll carry on using the Post Office, which is open all day six days a week
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    WillPS said:
    molerat said:

Have you checked every machine, inside and out? Often only one machine in a large branch will do £5 notes. It's hardly ever marked but staff will know.
    It's not much use if the only machines dispensing £5 notes are inside the bank, since they're hardly ever open. I'll carry on using the Post Office, which is open all day six days a week
    That as may be, it's wrong to call out the locator as inaccurate if there is a £5 note dispensing machine at the location specified...
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April at 8:28PM
    Options
    molerat said:
    molerat said:

only if you open the website on a computer - it's not showing the charge on my phone's browser :)
    I am using a mobile browser and the purple ones are there, click on them for details.  App also available in the PlayStore that operates the same way.  You can filter to only show free to use machines.

• Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My local Lloyds Bank has an atm that specifically dispenses £5 and £10 notes (and is labelled as such. If I request £25 it always gives me 5 fivers. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback