Any advice on the best way to transfer money between a US bank and my UK bank?

Options
I know I can use PayPal with my US bank to transfer money to my wife's PayPal, and there seems to be something now called Xoom that PayPal uses to transfer money from US to UK banks. It looks like that is expensive.
I'm talking about maybe 20000 USD. 
Thanks.
Doug

Comments

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Use a money transfer service for the best rates and lowest fees, I've used WISE several times but Monito will compare several services for you.
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 763 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I use Wise frequently to transfer from my US bank.  No charge to send to Wise (via ACH - not by wire which will cost).  Typically next day. Then ~0.5% or less to convert and send to a bank account in the UK.  More or less immediate. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • stillEuropean
    stillEuropean Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've also used WISE many times over the years but I believe they only transfer $10000 at a time, so you may have to make two transfers if you go this route.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Definitely avoid using PayPal for such a purpose, their conversion rates are dire.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I appreciate for 20K USD it may not be a good idea, but has anyone tried transferring funds from a US account to Revolut, by any chance?
  • DougWeller
    DougWeller Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WISE wants me to go to my bank and set up a wire transfer. Took me an hour to get to that message, mainly problems with selfie. Complete waste of time, I thought it would be easier than asking my bank to do it, which I guess I will.
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 763 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    WISE wants me to go to my bank and set up a wire transfer. Took me an hour to get to that message, mainly problems with selfie. Complete waste of time, I thought it would be easier than asking my bank to do it, which I guess I will.
    I don't understand what Wise asked you to do?  When opened, you should be able to send GBP to Wise via faster payments.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't understand what Wise asked you to do?  When opened, you should be able to send GBP to Wise via faster payments.

It's USD that Doug needs to send to Wise for making the transfer to his UK bank, but a wire transfer should not be the best option so that's the mystery. I have the full Wise account and a range of options are given for adding to my USD, the cheapest by far using ACH instant transfer.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 April at 7:57PM
    Options
    So you weren't able to open an account with Wise?
  • DougWeller
    DougWeller Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was able to. Taking a selfie to match my passport photo took forever. But as Wise asked me to get the bank to set up a wire transfer (yes, makes little sense to me) I decided it's easier to just get ask my bank to wire it to me directly (which last time I found difficult, too many hoops. I can't even access my US bank online because it requires the software to phone my mobile and it can't cope with a UK number. Stupid.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback