Retirees -- Day 1 -- Bull or Bear Market...

Options
Two questions for actual retired folks...

1. On the day 1 you retired, was Wall Street / FTSE in a bull or bear market?

2. What was your experience of your pension pot in the (say) 1-10 years after you retired?

Most commentators say never retire in a bull market... But curious to hear real-world experiences on it from the finance-savvy people here.

Non-retiree or pre-retiree thoughts also welcome 👍

Comments

• sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 756 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You might want to ask in the Pensions, annuities & retirement planning forum.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,340 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 April at 8:24AM
    Options
    I don't think many people would seriously propose someone delay their retirement because it's a bull market. That could leave them waiting many years for the next bear market, with very few windows of opportunity for retirement. Graphic below courtesy of Vanguard:

If we happen to be in a bear market, and the retiree still feels they are in a strong enough position financially to pull the trigger, then that is a good sign, but what is more important is having sufficient assets and a plan for managing a poor sequence of returns in the early years. This could happen even after entering a bear market.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    edited 1 April at 9:13AM
    Options
    Your portfolio should be designed to cope with any events that normally occur at least once a decade. Given that, the state of the market when you retire is irrelevant.

I retired in 2005. The 2008 crash barely affected me since their were serious restrictions at that time on drawdown and my investments were largely set up for buying an annuity.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I quit in July 19.   We all know what happened shortly after 😉

How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,999 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I retired in 2017 which was a bear market. Seven years later my portfolio is worth about 10% more than I expected it to be worth and I had have five years on income from it. (I lived on savings for the first two years as I retired at 53 so couldn't draw down on my personal pension).

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Millyonare
    Millyonare Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    Most commentators say never retire in a bull market
    Never heard that said before.      Its a completely bizarre thing to say as well.   Perhaps the people saying it have no understanding of planning, markets or real life.

It's a very common debate in the US, where investors and researchers tend to be a bit more sophisticated than in the UK and Europe.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/14/success/retiring-into-a-bear-market/index.html
  • Will_Do
    Will_Do Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How are you meant to know? I am no professional but I have been interested in investing and observing the markets for almost 40 years. I have come to the conclusion that you can only truly identify market trends after the fact. So it could be a bull market today but in a few weeks time it might be evident that tomorrow was the start of a downturn. What am I missing?

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So by that chart, we have another 2.5 years of "bull" to come, on average. 😉
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback