Retirees -- Day 1 -- Bull or Bear Market...

Options
2»

Comments

• ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I retired (early forties) in 2007, right into the teeth of the 2008 crash.

It did me a huge favour, as I realised I hated having my investments managed by somebody other than me (especially as the "other" was my bank...).

It also did me a huge additional favour, by forcing me to take a deep dive into investments in order to learn how to take it on, what to do and (even more importantly) what not to do.

It all passes through in the end.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • Millyonare
    Millyonare Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 April at 2:28PM
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    dunstonh said:
    Most commentators say never retire in a bull market
    Never heard that said before.      Its a completely bizarre thing to say as well.   Perhaps the people saying it have no understanding of planning, markets or real life.

It's a very common debate in the US, where investors and researchers tend to be a bit more sophisticated than in the UK and Europe.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/14/success/retiring-into-a-bear-market/index.html
    US debate tends to be very US centric. As for more sophisticated I'd say it's American Exceptionalism that shines through. Currently it's like watching someone in a Tesla travelling along a motorway at high speed in thick fog.  
    The UK always follows what the US does. Like two peas in a pod.

The US has been wildly outperforming the UK economically and financially now for more than a century. There's no Warren Buffett $100b sage in the UK. Microsoft alone (one firm) is bigger than the entire UK total stockmarket. The London Stock Exchange (LSE) is not even among the world's top-10 largest anymore. LSE has plunged from 3rd to 11th worldwide in just a couple of decades.

The trend is clear -- US investors are on a whole different level to UK investors.

There's no shame in admitting it. The US is simply better than the UK.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    Never heard that said before.      Its a completely bizarre thing to say as well.   Perhaps the people saying it have no understanding of planning, markets or real life.

It's a very common debate in the US, where investors and researchers tend to be a bit more sophisticated than in the UK and Europe.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/14/success/retiring-into-a-bear-market/index.html

But that link discusses retiring in a bear market - the OP originally said:

Most commentators say never retire in a bull market...

Or have I missed something somewhere?

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,475 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 April at 4:36PM
    Options
    LHW99 said:
    dunstonh said:

Indeed, I thought it was highlighting additional challenges associated with retiring in a bear marker. Maybe the article is just too sophisticated for us to get our heads around ;)
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    masonic said:
    LHW99 said:
    dunstonh said:

Indeed, I thought it was highlighting additional challenges associated with retiring in a bear marker. Maybe the article is just too sophisticated for us to get our heads around ;)
    Or it just a lot of bull !
  • boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I just assumed this was an April Fool thread.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    dunstonh said:

US debate tends to be very US centric. As for more sophisticated I'd say it's American Exceptionalism that shines through. Currently it's like watching someone in a Tesla travelling along a motorway at high speed in thick fog.  
    The UK always follows what the US does. Like two peas in a pod.

The US has been wildly outperforming the UK economically and financially now for more than a century. There's no Warren Buffett $100b sage in the UK. Microsoft alone (one firm) is bigger than the entire UK total stockmarket. The London Stock Exchange (LSE) is not even among the world's top-10 largest anymore. LSE has plunged from 3rd to 11th worldwide in just a couple of decades.

The trend is clear -- US investors are on a whole different level to UK investors.

There's no shame in admitting it. The US is simply better than the UK.
    On so many levels it isn't.  Being totally money centric makes for a form of capitalism that suggests the model is broken. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback