Weight loss and healthy eating for a debt free life

Options

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,575 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It's scientifically proven that men lose weight more easily than women so don't be disheartened if he losing quicker than you @KK.
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    joedenise said:
    It's scientifically proven that men lose weight more easily than women so don't be disheartened if he losing quicker than you @KK.
    I’m totally expecting it! 🙄😉🤷‍♀️

KK
    As at 15.04.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £253,994, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 16 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 6th May)
    Produce tracker: £25.45 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,774 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    @Onebrokelady I was on steroids from half way through my pregnancy until the HT was four months old because I was allergic to him when I was pregnant and then the dose had to be slowly reduced. You couldn't make it up. The consultant was retiring and he said it was only the second case he'd ever seen. I was 18 stone by the time it was all done with and I'm only 5ft tall. You're doing really well to be coping with them and staying aware of your weight.

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April at 3:55PM
    Options
    Lovely to see so many posts.

We still have a little junk to use up, and a DS birthday tomorrow  but we have kick started the month with a medium walk in the drizzle (the first bluebells are out at my favourite reserve!) on a banana breakfast. Typically the sun is now shining... Mushroom and bacon on a nasty GF roll for lunch on our return.  Plan for this evening is ham, egg and chips, using some of of the half price gammon I cooked yesterday.  Need to add some veg to that plan, and decide if i should pineapple (tinned) or not.

MrT delivered earlier so we have lots of vegetables  - just need to make myself actually eat some.  I generally enjoy cooking but not planning food, or eating it. 

My plan for the month is to increase the veg significantly (and actually eat Veg, Fruit and Pulses) and reduce the Prosecco and to generally move more.  We dont eat that much processed stuff and wheat triggers my fribro.  I have banananananas, blueberries, lemons a baked apple, sultanas, and a tin of pineapple so not exactly drowning in fruit. I still have the bag of kale, which is looking at me reproachfully.  Otherwise cabbage, cucumber, celery, lettuce, radish, swede, green beans, tomatoes, chillies, mushrooms, and many carrots, onions and potatoes thanks to the 15p veg. And a reproachful bag of kale.  Why did I buy it?

Soup seems fairly key to this - filling, cheap, tasty.  Full of vegetables touching each other.  *shudders*  I have many carrots, and make a rather nice carrot and coriander soup.  Pea and ham - have dried peas and the gammon.  And need to so something with a butternut squash - chilli and coconut soup?

What is everyone else planning?
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April at 4:17PM
    Options
    I like Waitrose for that too Beanie, and Ocado - they will also deliver in bags, which really helps when my hands are bad. We have MrT because of the delivery saver, bought with vouchers before the triple value thing ended last year. 

The thing I find is that the cheaper stuff in tins is harder to open. Mind you even the milk lids can be a challenge at times and I HATE asking for help.

I am thinking simple HM coleslaw to go with the gammon - grated carrot, cabbage and onion and a little mayo/yoghurt mixture. SW style potato wedges.  All with the veg for pennies. 
  • Less_Talk_and_More_Action
    Options
    Hi everyone 
    I work best with calorie counting.  I say “best” loosely as nothing has been completely successful to date.   Like many I am a veteran of WW and SW and many other things.  I am signed up to Nutracheck (really like the layout of this app and happy to fill in all my info and plan).  I have learnt (and it has taken me a long time) that I don’t do well with anything free or unlimited- regardless of how healthy.  Some sort of structure seems better hence the nutracheck choice. 
    I am trying a different approach this time - I have worked out my weekly calories and using them as a “bank”.  Weighing on a Saturday morning and that enables a more flexible approach at weekends and what’s left on Monday morning to be divided into 5 for the rest of the week.  To be reviewed and I’ll see how it goes.  I have a lot to lose but not in a rush. 
    In terms of the food side - we are vegetarian, leaning towards plant based as much as we can. Doesn’t stop me eating a load of rubbish though (hello chocolate, crisps and the local chippy 😱). So prioritising non-processed, lots of fruit, veg and beans etc.  Mr L is the cook (luckily 🤣).   Agree that soup is great in all this- we have a few go to versions which are great for lunches.  We shop in person but would like to get back to having a veg box as well.  And also to grow some……hopefully. 
    @redofromstart - the reproachful kale made me laugh.  I am totally with you on that.  We do a butternut squash soup that has chilli in it and some smooth peanut butter (you don’t need loads).  Kind of a satay taste.  Really nice.  
    So plan is to put all this into practice. 
    I too look forward to hearing how everyone is doing and how plans are working. 
    L x 

• KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I am feeling unprepared …. (too much gardening! 😉) need to do some planning <starts channelling ‘Fail to prepare, prepare to fail’ focus …. > 😂

Well at least I will get my Toscos delivery booked for next week! 
    And then start looking through what some of *my* favourite healthy options are (I think part of my trouble is I adapt to match to what Mr KK has all the time - I am loving rebelling for tonight’s dinner, and having a simple baked potato with cheese, finely chopped shallot and beans - not low calorie but at least less UPF than usual!)

KK
    As at 15.04.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £253,994, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 16 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 6th May)
    Produce tracker: £25.45 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,774 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 April at 6:45PM
    Options
    Good evening, 

The healthy eating is going well here. I had banana and peanut butter on toast for breakfast (it is possible to put a thin scrape of peanut butter on). The bread was small loaf wholemeal. Lunch was fruit again, I had a couple of raspberries and cherries. a bit of chopped up mango, a sliced apple, a blood orange and 10g of peanut butter to stop the apple making me hungry. Dinner tonight was a beef in BBQ sauce and salad in a WW wrap. 

No snacks as yet as I haven't had time but the evening is when the snackcidents happen.......

@KajiKita I often make two different meals as the HT and I have very different ideas of what dinner should be. He had pizza tonight (made by me)

@redofromstart any soup that I make has to be blended until none of it's component parts can be identified

@Less_Talk_and_More_Action the butternut squash soup sounds good. 

@beanielou good luck at SW 

I'm going to plants some tomatoes now so at least the healthy eating will be a bit cheaper towards the end of the summer. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback