Weight loss and healthy eating for a debt free life

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,197 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 March at 8:07PM
    Options
    Great idea @CRANKY40. The key message for me has always been half by volume of everything you eat should be vegetables. I mostly dislike vegetables but I can see that it works. 

Anyway, I would like to join you. Just not tonight - I did the 10k steps but was joyfully seduced by wine and carbohydrates - although not pasta which I can't abide. I have had a banana, blueberries, salad and squashed grapes so not a terrible day overall. 
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,495 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    @CRANKY40.  THanks for this lovely shiny new thread.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,495 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    @CRANKY40. Just realised we have lost a similar amount. I need to try really hard to keep it off & to loose a wee bit more. 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • strandedinaber
    strandedinaber Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Following - thank you for posting this @CRANKY40! I need to lose at least 2 stone, and have really been struggling to do so. I'm not as active as I should be or need to be, so I'd like to walk more, but I know that weight is generally lost in the kitchen. Snacking is my downfall!

Tonight's meal was not as thrifty as I would have liked it to have been. The price of salmon has gone up since I last bought it: £5.50 for two fillets, significantly smaller than the last ones. That said, it was responsibly sourced (at least as far as is possible) so I'm willing to pay the price for that, I just need to keep an eye out for yellow sticker options. Roasted with a v small amount of spread and dill, and ate with roasted veg and wholegrain rice from the bulk buy store (so was comparatively cheap). I also roasted up another batch of veg for some lunches over the weekend so I don't have to run the oven as much.
    Novuna personal finance 0% 4-year £518/£1866
    M&S credit card 0% 18 months £413.12/£4216.58
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 30 March at 9:33AM
    Options
    I would like to join as well. Thanks to @redofromstart for the link 😊

I think I am something of an emotional eater - savoury things and carbs being my absolute downfall. I like the idea of ‘not starting yet’ as that gives us all time to prep and thing of subs for things that we are currently eating. (Love Redo’s idea of making up coleslaw with half yoghurt in the mayo - awesome 👏). 
    My biggest danger points seem to be an after work snack - it used to be biscuits but managed to switch to a constrained piece of cheese with tomatoes or some such, but has since expanded again ….
    I also have a bad habit of wanting to have a cup of tea ‘with something’ - that has to stop as well. 
    I struggle with exercise. Not because I can’t but I just don’t seem to have any energy and the idea of doing exercise on top of a full day at work, a longish, unpleasant commute, cooking food for both of us and then prepping all my food for the following day and then fitting in a shower - it’s just a ‘no, you’re kidding’ from something in me. It’s not my body though - she’d love more exercise …. 🤷‍♀️
    With all this, am I in the right place? It’s not really ££ linked, though I could probably save some grocery spend … 🤔
    KK
    As at 15.04.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £253,994, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 16 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 6th May)
    Produce tracker: £25.45 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,774 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 March at 10:22AM
    Options
    @strandedinaber I'm good at snacking too, I could pass an exam on it. I'm not great with salmon, I'm still haunted by the Sunday salad evening meal of my childhood - tinned salmon with a lettuce leaf, half a tomato, quarter of a boiled egg and maybe a sliced radish. 

Hello @KajiKita, I do the drink with a snack thing too. If I'm being drink conscious it's easier to top up liquid consumption with a drink if you've had a snack to make you thirsty first. I have several bad habits to unlearn....
    This doesn't have to be ££ linked. I'm doing it from an overbuying perspective so it will save me money and also save on food waste. 

Try walking on the spot if you think you'd like a bit more exercise. I do it because my step count can vary from day to day but I can always top it up at the end of the day by putting music in youtube and walking on the spot. It's good for days when I'm tired and sore because I can stop for breaks when I need to. 
  • CCW007
    CCW007 Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 March at 10:13AM
    Options
    I'd love to join please. I overstock food, for some reason I seem to really worry about running out of food.

I regularly fail at meal planning so end up with food waste which is bad both for the environment and the budget. Added to that I volunteer with Olio and end up trying to use up things I wouldn't necessarily buy and which are not the healthiest.

I've just had a new kitchen including larder cupboard and it's really brought home how much food I hoard so my plan is to try and come up with ideas for using up what I will eat, get rid of what I won't and then only replace with what I actually want. I'm never going to be one of those people with only one tin of tomatoes or beans in the cupboard but I'd like not to have 10 tins of black beans which I don't have any recipes to use them up!

In the process I'm hoping to getting back to eating more healthily as I need to lose 3 to 4 stone and also to reduce my food costs.

ETA we bought a year's gym membership so no excuses not to exercise other than time as KajiKita says.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback