Options

Comments

• waveyjane
    waveyjane Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 5 November 2023 at 5:19PM
    Options
    waveyjane said:
    Why was this "hiding" option implemented? If it was to solve false triggering (flying out when you don't want it to, so it then obscures content you want to see) then best practice is basically not to do it in the first place, particularly if the menu is near (but not at) the top of the screen.

If you insist on having onHover menus, then at least put in a delay (eg 2-300ms) so that if the user is merely passing over them on the way to something else, the menu doesn't immediately trigger and cause the frustration.

MSE's use of a "hide this" is not a convention most people will expect or even understand.
    It was not an MSE decision to create this "flash up" menu and the "hiding" option is their attempt to help out in response to the many complaints about it.
    To understand the situation better perhaps you should read the posts here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80205692/#Comment_80205692
    and here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80234767/#Comment_80234767
    Thanks - I see in that first post it says:

"MegaMenu (The white drop-menu)
    This is core part of the new theme. It can’t be made click-to-activate, or have a delay before activating."

That's pretty poor stuff. A timed delay is the reccommended way of reducing the false-triggering so that a hover event needs to stay on the menu for about 2-300ms unless it leaves. 

• MollyR
    MollyR Posts: 2,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Did you also see in the posts that the new theme is off-the-peg (with some adjustments where possible) and not written in-house?  MSE cannot make changes which the people they bought it from have not set it up so that such changes can be made.
  • waveyjane
    waveyjane Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    MollyR said:
    Did you also see in the posts that the new theme is off-the-peg (with some adjustments where possible) and not written in-house?  MSE cannot make changes which the people they bought it from have not set it up so that such changes can be made.
    And so presumably MSE isn't the only site that's affected.

I know that in the grand scheme of things, a badly-designed menu on a website is hardly a big problem. But it's these micro failures to attend to detail that grind you down. Like the fact that I can type this, then accidentally close the browser tab and lose everything instantly (yet preserving a few Kb in local browser storage is trivial these days), or that if my mouse stops over this input box it needlessly says "Type your comment", obscuring what I'm trying to read. It's the not caring and not wanting any improvement in stuff like that. Sort of symbolic of the bigger things somehow. They sold it to MSE and don't give a damn. 
  • BadDebtor
    BadDebtor Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    That drop menu is driving me totally nuts, first of all it comes down too quickly, it is customary to set this to a minimum of 3 seconds.  Second, once on it does not go off, thus blocking your own content, I found today that moving the cursor over the last menu option, HELP makes it go off, but the damn thing will come back on.

I am glad to hear that some coding has been done to get rid of it, I hope this is done by my account not by cookies.

Better still program it properly, give user an option on their profile to set the delay to 5s or 10s or whatever they want and 0s for never show it. 

• BadDebtor
    BadDebtor Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    While we are winging, can the Forum Home be set to the page Categories loads and the current Forum Home be changed to Forum Info.
  • LeesArt
    LeesArt Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Clearly the fact that you have gone to the trouble of adding a "Remove this menu option" shows that a lot of people find this annoying, but this is cookie based not account based.

It also does not take you back where you were when you wanted to get rid of this awful thing so it is a triple inconvenient.

Can we either have an off switch in our setting or just get rid of it.

One of the things that make it such a PITA is that it remains on the screen and you have to move the cursor over the help menu option to get rid of it.

Also with this things there is usually a time delay, around 3 to 5 seconds, but with MSE it is instant.

It is incredibly tedious, so PLEASE retire it gracefully or develop an option built into our account settings so we can choose to never see it again.

Thanks for listening.

• Ozzig
    Ozzig Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 March at 9:48AM
    Options
    Just tried it without, pain in the backside, please allow me the means to keep it.
  • LeesArt
    Options
    Yes keep it, you can have it, a slider option in settings will be the best so we can both be happy
  • LeesArt
    Options
    Please provide the option to get rid of it in our account settings as many delete their cookies regularly or when they close their browser.

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Can someone explain to me what this is all about?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback