Virgin 1 Year Fixed Rate Cash ISA Exclusive issue 11

Options
where_are_we
where_are_we Posts: 1,001 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 17 March at 10:38AM in ISAs & tax-free savings
I have just opened the Virgin Cash ISA issue 11 with a fixed rate for 1 year of 5.25% and maturity date of 31/3/25, which at the moment is top of the 1 year fixed cash ISA tables. You need a Virgin current account. T&C`s state that no minimum is required to open and maintain this account and that you have up to 30 days after we stop selling this account to fund it. This seems generous and my plan is to wait until the end of March to see if any better equivalent comes along. If not I will fund it before the end of this tax year 23-24. I have not funded another cash ISA this year but have funded part of my £20K allowance in a S&S ISA and will use the remainder of my allownace to fund the VirginCash ISA.
My question is - will I be able to fund this same Virgin Cash ISA @5.25% in the next tax year 24-25 if I do so before the up to 30 day expiry stipulated in the T&C`s?

Comments

• mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Should be able to if that's the funding window which seems to be the case.

Maturity date is 31/03/25 not 31/4 (30 days hath September, April .... )
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 March at 1:40PM
    Options
    I have just opened the Virgin Cash ISA issue 11 with a fixed rate for 1 year of 5.25% and maturity date of 31/4/25, which at the moment is top of the 1 year fixed cash ISA tables. You need a Virgin current account. T&C`s state that no minimum is required to open and maintain this account and that you have up to 30 days after we stop selling this account to fund it. This seems generous and my plan is to wait until the end of March to see if any better equivalent comes along. If not I will fund it before the end of this tax year 23-24. I have not funded another cash ISA this year but have funded part of my £20K allowance in a S&S ISA and will use the remainder of my allownace to fund the VirginCash ISA.
    My question is - will I be able to fund this same Virgin Cash ISA @5.25% in the next tax year 24-25 if I do so before the up to 30 day expiry stipulated in the T&C`s?
    Yes, you can fund it from this year's allowance and also next year's allowance. And even if they withdrew it today you would until Saturday 13/04/2024 to fund it.

Virgin Money are usually good for allowing transactions over weekends and bank holidays. Nevertheless, I would ensure I transferred any subscriptions from the VM current account on a working day to ensure it met the tax year criteria.

PS: I have this account which I intend to fund after 5th April as I have already funded a cash ISA this year.
  • gele
    gele Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    soulsaver. I wasn't aware of this. Very handy if you have a fixed ISA maturing in May as I do. Thanks.
  • DJSINGH
    DJSINGH Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I didnt realise that either. I may have to open another one and fill in the transfer form with it.
    Otherwise its paper based iirc for an already open one. Will just leave the current one open and not fill
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March at 1:37AM
    Options
    DJSINGH said:
    I didnt realise that either. I may have to open another one and fill in the transfer form with it.
    Otherwise its paper based iirc for an already open one. Will just leave the current one open and not fill
    See here: 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80579835/#Comment_80579835
  • DJSINGH
    Options
    soulsaver said:
    DJSINGH said:
    See here: 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80579835/#Comment_80579835
    I know. I just forgot I had an old ISA maturing in may :P
  • soulsaver
    Options
    gele said:
    soulsaver. I wasn't aware of this. Very handy if you have a fixed ISA maturing in May as I do. Thanks.
    Yes - note though that the downside is you won't have a full year in the receiving ISA with the fixed maturity date - you'd get ?May to 31/03/25 (IIRC)
  • DJSINGH
    Options
    Not sure if this is new, but posting incase it helps anyone.
    Previously, I am sure if you didnt do the ISA transfer as part of opening a new exclusive ISA, then you had to do via post (pdf to complete).

Looks like if you have an existing account, you can now request the ISA transfer all online:
    https://uk.virginmoney.com/savings/learn/isas/transfer-your-isa

• soulsaver
    edited 26 March at 3:29PM
    Options
    DJSINGH said:
    Not sure if this is new, but posting incase it helps anyone.
    Previously, I am sure if you didnt do the ISA transfer as part of opening a new exclusive ISA, then you had to do via post (pdf to complete).

Looks like if you have an existing account, you can now request the ISA transfer all online:
    https://uk.virginmoney.com/savings/learn/isas/transfer-your-isa

You could/can do it by phone. Make sure you keep a note time, agents name and get the transfer reference which they don't volunteer so you have to ask for it, and they DON'T confirm by email.
    Bit suspect IMO.
    It appears VM screw up quite often, so have theses details for correction/recovery/complaint.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback