Extra cost to use an amex

Options
Hi All, 

Recently got engaged and we are looking to book a wedding venue. However the one we have chosen has said that if we pay by Amex, which we wanted to do to rack up the airmiles/companion voucher, we will need to pay an extra 2.5%. Are they able to do this?

Thanks in advance. 

J

Comments

• Gandalf644
    Gandalf644 Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 February at 10:52PM
    Options
    Satches said:
    Hi All, 

Recently got engaged and we are looking to book a wedding venue. However the one we have chosen has said that if we pay by Amex, which we wanted to do to rack up the airmiles/companion voucher, we will need to pay an extra 2.5%. Are they able to do this?

Thanks in advance. 

J
    No, unless it is a Business Amex credit card where they can charge extra.

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/payment-surcharges

It's not allowed, but some places still do it. 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Historic issue with Amex. Why the card never gained real traction in the UK. 
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    Merchant fees 4 to 5%
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 755 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You could try reporting them to Amex (or threatening the venue that you will do so).

From https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-know-how/credit-card-fees/

Charges by sellers

It used to be common for sellers to charge extra for paying by credit card. But since 13 January 2018, these kinds of fees have been banned in the UK and should no longer be added to your purchase amounts. Keep in mind, though, that credit card surcharges may still be charged abroad. American Express welcomed the ban and believed this decision has created a level playing field for consumers and will give them the confidence to use the payment method of their choice.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You could try reporting them to Amex (or threatening the venue that you will do so).
    And possibly provoke a simple "we don't take Amex" response. 
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Barkin said:
    And possibly provoke a simple "we don't take Amex" response. 
    Or, take your wedding elsewhere response

Seems if they want to pay by Amex they take the hit but I can't see the points being worth the extra 2.5%?
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    35har1old said:
    Hoenir said:
    Merchant fees 4 to 5%
    Nowhere near that now, they are the same as Visa and Mastercard, for small businesses like mine 1.2-1.4%, bigger businesses will be paying less than 1%.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 February at 1:19PM
    Options
    35har1old said:
    Hoenir said:
    Merchant fees 4 to 5%
    Our local Indian, a 1 restaurant place not a chain, pay 0.9% on AmEx compared to 0.75% on other credit cards (though things like Visa Infinite come with higher fees too)

If you use Zettle, SumUp etc are all things that accept AmEx at no higher rate than Visa/Mastercard etc.

Any merchant being charged 4-5% above what they are being charged on Visa etc are being fleeced in this day and age. AmEx is fractionally more these days. 

As to the OP's point, no you cannot be charged more for paying by card but forcing them not to try to isn't going to be a simple process. 
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

From https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-know-how/credit-card-fees/

Charges by sellers

It used to be common for sellers to charge extra for paying by credit card. But since 13 January 2018, these kinds of fees have been banned in the UK and should no longer be added to your purchase amounts. Keep in mind, though, that credit card surcharges may still be charged abroad. American Express welcomed the ban and believed this decision has created a level playing field for consumers and will give them the confidence to use the payment method of their choice.

Not really very bright to report them if you want to have your wedding there.
    They are within their rights not to take Amex so not a lot you can do here I'm afraid.
    If you're not having your wedding there then feel free to report to trading standards and Amex.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback