PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to decide area to buy a flat in London?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi First timer
    thanks For the updates!

Let us know if you get the flat… no hurry..

and for what it’s worth, our house, a mile  up the hill, is also within75m of a school playground. Across from our front door. With double glazing I hear nothing, as I sleep at the front but live mostly at the rear… but if I go out the front at playtime I find the noisy babble delightful and refreshing!
  • Nickfirsttimebuyer
    Options
    @hazyjo @AlexMac thanks a lot for your messages & sorry for the reply. So I am still looking because my offer was not accepted in the flat in Maze Hill. So I am about to give an offer tomorrow to a Victorian conversion maisonette in South Woodford. The flat holds share of the freehold, no service charges, no ground rent & 990 years lease. The flat is refurbished & has a lovely garden. My only concerns are:
    1. Insulation is bad because I could heat people walking above
    2. EPC rating is D
    What is your opinion on Victorian conversion flats? What do you think about South Woodford? Which option is better - period conversion flats or purpose flats?

Many thanks
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    @hazyjo @AlexMac thanks a lot for your messages & sorry for the reply. So I am still looking because my offer was not accepted in the flat in Maze Hill. So I am about to give an offer tomorrow to a Victorian conversion maisonette in South Woodford. The flat holds share of the freehold, no service charges, no ground rent & 990 years lease. The flat is refurbished & has a lovely garden. My only concerns are:
    2. EPC rating is D
    What is your opinion on Victorian conversion flats? What do you think about South Woodford? Which option is better - period conversion flats or purpose flats?

Many thanks
    I'd go for a top floor flat in a conversion if you can. Fewer sound issues and likely warmer too due to heat rising. 

Period conversions and purpose built flats all have their own advantages and disadvantages. It just depends what you want from a property.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    lika_86 said:
    2. EPC rating is D

Many thanks
    I'd go for a top floor flat in a conversion if you can. Fewer sound issues and likely warmer too due to heat rising. 
    Possibly poorer insulation though (I'm in a top floor conversion with a flat roof, and not much scope for adding insulation without us reroofing). Not sure that's counteracted by any heat I steal from downstairs! Plus hotter in the summer...
  • Nickfirsttimebuyer
    Nickfirsttimebuyer Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 March at 3:39PM
    Options
    @user1977 I know! On the one hand, the period conversions are lovely BUT they have very poor insulation & are not energy efficient. The new builts however have expensive service charges BUT they are energy efficient & built maybe with much better insulation? 
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Personal taste, really. They tend to hold their value well. I lived upstairs in a conversion (1 flat below) and still got noise from below - wasn't very soundproofed. Ground is obviously better if you'll make use of a garden.

South Woodford is fine, I have lots of friends in that general direction. It's very busy / buzzy. Left of the railway line is generally considered nicer than the right.

I prefer Wanstead/HP/North Chingford, but each to their own :)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Nickfirsttimebuyer
    Options
    Really good news everyone!  :)
    I am very happy that an offer has been accepted & I have just started the process. I end up buying a lovely 1 bed flat in Higham Park in a low raise building on the top 3rd floor. Any tips/ recommendations/ suggestions troughout the process are more than welcome please. I am a first time buyer therefore I really appreciate your help.
    Shall I complete an independent survey on the building? 

• Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A very belated response as I only just saw the thread, but congrats on having the offer accepted, I've lived in HP for about 8 years now and never regretted moving here, I hope you have a similar experience!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback