PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to decide area to buy a flat in London?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,915 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

It’s definitely a relatively safe area compared to other areas like Leyton, Stratford etc

I don't know how safe Lea Bridge is, but there is a lot of development around there and it has a fast train into Stratford.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Oh goodness - yes to the impossibility of driving in Walthamstow as it now is! We were there a few weekends ago - planned to park near Blackhorse Rd station to get the tube. Absolute nightmare of various roads which now go to one way (so no entry against us) after the first 10 yards, no left turn. no right turn, you name it! We did eventually get parked on the road near Willowfield School but it's a far cry from how straightforward it used to be to drive around the area years ago! 

And yes to the "hierarchy of Waltham Forest" as well. Leyton at the bottom (sorry Leyton!), then Walthamstow. Probably Leytonstone after that, then Highams Park and finally that desirable E4 postcode - although lord knows there are some grim old dives round the back end of Chingford! 
    Live round there so know exactly what you mean! I’ll be parking near Loughton and using the central line once I make the move to Essex. 
  • Lions_89
    Lions_89 Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post
    Put it this way, I bought a studio in zone 2 and I wouldn’t have gone anywhere else. Could have had a two bed in other areas, but some of them are dives. 
  • I don't know what's better. An area that is super convenient and easy to commute to the city centre or an area I like more but is a bit further out and not so well connected?
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know what's better. An area that is super convenient and easy to commute to the city centre or an area I like more but is a bit further out and not so well connected?
    That sounds 100% a personal decision to me. Those are the compromises, and you know what they are. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,915 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I don't know what's better. An area that is super convenient and easy to commute to the city centre or an area I like more but is a bit further out and not so well connected?
    People tend to choose a more central location when young, free and single and then move further out as they get older. Will you use the fact you are somewhere well connected to good effect? If not, you would be better off in an area you prefer. It’s more relaxing living where you’d like to be than somewhere you don’t really like and feel you need to be out and about as the connections were what made you move there.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    This is the beauty of London though - if you are within zones 1 - 4 and within a stroll of a tube of well-served overground station, then everywhere is easily accessible. The Highams Park area you were looking at for example - regular trains through to Liverpool Street,  or if you're heading to the West End a train plus tube OR a bus plus tube ride gets you into Z1 quickly and easily. I used to travel in and out all the time when I lived there and never found it an issue in spite of previously having lived just a few minutes walk from the Victoria Line. When I first moved there it felt a bit strange, but that was just from the perspective of my previous location having been literally a 25 minute (including walk & wait) trip in to the West End. For me, the easy link to the tube or an equivalent is the key thing and the advantages of being further out (more green space) etc are huge. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It depends... on a random given Wednesday evening are you more likely to stay in? Stay local? Travel to the centre? Likewise on your non-working days?

With Covid having curtailed moving about we got to appreciate our local area more (in part driven by wife's dislike of public transport and lack of car) and now we spend a bit more time in the local area or the edges of Z1 (which is a 30 minute walk) than going all the way to the centre or maybe its just we are getting older as @silvercar says? Also helps we know the local area better now so what days each pub has live music or when quiz night is to avoid it. 

Amusingly did work with a chap who'd done London in his 20s, moved out and had kids in Surrey/Sussex and now as late 50s/early 60s and empty nesters had moved back into Z1 London and living the highlife again but now with much more money. Their view was that their appartment was going to be little more than a crashpad (even though its their main home) as they eat out most evenings, regularly go to theatre, music performances etc and so location was 100% for being able to get home from the centre at 2am with ease. Can't remember where he ended up but was well above your or my budget!
  • demontfort
    demontfort Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You'd get a niceish 2 bed in Leyton for £450K, possibly with a garden. True, Leyton is a bit of a dump but so is most of East London and for some reason it's attracted a lot of 30 somethings who ignore the drugs and deprivation and try to pretend they are living in Hampstead. On the plus side it's very quick and easy to get to Liverpool Street by tube or by bike, there's lots of parks and open space nearby, it has a football team, Stratford and all it's delights are within walking distance and there's a few poncey bars and restaurants (if you like that kind of thing).
  • @silvercar absolutely I agree with you that is more relaxing living where I’d like to be than somewhere I don’t really like that much but I'm close to the center!! SO TRUE ☺️
    I'm thinking of BOW (ZONE 2) & HIGHAMS PARK (ZONE 4) or close to Maze Hill/ Deptford/ Greenwich (Zone 2-3) as of now but im having viewings and it really depends if I also like the flats. I've seen however the closer you are in the center the more expensive the service charges/ ground rents are even if it does depend on the building!
    My priorities are
    1. Flat (ticks the boxes, service charges, ground rent, lease, etc)
    2. Location (amenities nearby/ safety/ community)
    3. Well connected (reachable easily by night and day)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback