PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to decide area to buy a flat in London?

Comments

• @EssexHebridean absolutely! The only thing I am thoughtful about Highams Park is the fact that is in Zone 4 and I wanted something within zone 2-3 max ideally. However, the commute time to central London from HP is the same (or maybe even better) compared to many places in zone 3 (and maybe even 2) therefore that's not an issue for me. 
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You'd get a niceish 2 bed in Leyton for £450K, possibly with a garden. True, Leyton is a bit of a dump but so is most of East London and for some reason it's attracted a lot of 30 somethings who ignore the drugs and deprivation and try to pretend they are living in Hampstead. On the plus side it's very quick and easy to get to Liverpool Street by tube or by bike, there's lots of parks and open space nearby, it has a football team, Stratford and all it's delights are within walking distance and there's a few poncey bars and restaurants (if you like that kind of thing).
    I find it hard to get my head around a deprived area where a 2 bed flat is £450K. Clearly it's not unemployeddrig addicts who are buying properties. Gentrification seems baked in. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,946 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    @silvercar absolutely I agree with you that is more relaxing living where I’d like to be than somewhere I don’t really like that much but I'm close to the center!! SO TRUE ☺️
    I'm thinking of BOW (ZONE 2) & HIGHAMS PARK (ZONE 4) or close to Maze Hill/ Deptford/ Greenwich (Zone 2-3) as of now but im having viewings and it really depends if I also like the flats. I've seen however the closer you are in the center the more expensive the service charges/ ground rents are even if it does depend on the building!
    My priorities are
    1. Flat (ticks the boxes, service charges, ground rent, lease, etc)
    2. Location (amenities nearby/ safety/ community)
    3. Well connected (reachable easily by night and day)
    Just had a conversation with my son, who bought in Lea Bridge just over a year ago. His comment was that it is relaxing to live in your own place (as a FTB who had been renting previously) provided you love your flat, the secondary consideration is well connected and the third is the area. The fourth is that as a place gets gentrified, the quality of the facilities improves. So everyone’s priorities are different.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • demontfort
    demontfort Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    RHemmings said:
    You'd get a niceish 2 bed in Leyton for £450K, possibly with a garden. True, Leyton is a bit of a dump but so is most of East London and for some reason it's attracted a lot of 30 somethings who ignore the drugs and deprivation and try to pretend they are living in Hampstead. On the plus side it's very quick and easy to get to Liverpool Street by tube or by bike, there's lots of parks and open space nearby, it has a football team, Stratford and all it's delights are within walking distance and there's a few poncey bars and restaurants (if you like that kind of thing).
    I find it hard to get my head around a deprived area where a 2 bed flat is £450K. Clearly it's not unemployeddrig addicts who are buying properties. Gentrification seems baked in. 
    Tell me about it but a lot of relatively well off people in London are willing to pay a fortune for a pokey flat in a traffic choked, drug addled armpit of East London as long as they can buy a sourdough kombucha and have an overpriced brunch with friends.
  • annetheman
    annetheman Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 February at 5:44PM
    Woah, I feel seen. I've literally just bought a 2-bed house in an East London z3 dump and posted a thread clutching my pearls about the deprivation I saw (I'm moving from the shires with multi-million-pound houses in the neighbourhood, for comparison) as a 30-something! I have lived in some real dumps though, so I really am not pretending when I say I don't mind it lol.

90% of 30-something I know have dreams when buying in London of picking the area that's going to be gentrified next, but during the pre-gentrification price times.

OP - I would seriously consider if you can stretch to a house, since you say lease and service charge issues are a nuisance already in your search. It doesn't get better - as someone who is selling a flat specifically for those reasons.
    Current debt-free wannabe stats:
    Credit cards: £12,228.11 | Loans: £8,608.11 | Student Loan (Plan 1): £15,121.42 | Total: £35,957.64 
    Debt-free target: 21-Mar-2025
    Debt-free diary
  • pieroabcd
    pieroabcd Posts: 502 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 February at 11:04PM
    It really depends on what's most important for you.
    For me it was absolutely: a freehold house because I didn't want to be a renter in disguise at the mercy of  service charges out of my control, spacious and in a decent area even at the cost of living in zone 16, decently connected, supermarkets at walking distance.
    I couldn't care less about bars, cafes and restaurants (where I've never been).

When I bought the house that I chose it ticked all the points (in zone 6 but 5 minutes from the tube station) but I didn't give enough importance to the distance from supermarkets, 15 minutes walk away (I never buy from small stores because there's simply not enough choice). Now if I went back I would probably choose another house that I saw a few weeks before, at 5 minutes walking distance from Lidl and Sainsbuy (15 from the station) because after all going to buy some food happens definitely MUCH more frequently than taking the tube, for me at least (working from home 3 days a week). Incidentally this other house was also 90k cheaper...
  • RHemmings
    pieroabcd said:
    For me it was absolutely: a freehold house because I didn't want to be a renter in disguise at the mercy of  service charges out of my control, spacious and in a decent area even at the cost of living in zone 16, decently connected, supermarkets at walking distance.

When I bought the house that I chose it ticked all the points (in zone 6 but 5 minutes from the tube station) but I didn't give enough importance to the distance from supermarkets, 15 minutes walk away (I never buy from small stores because there's simply not enough choice). Now if I went back I would probably choose another house that I saw a few weeks before, at 5 minutes walking distance from Lidl and Sainsbuy (15 from the station) because after all going to buy some food happens definitely MUCH more frequently than taking the tube, for me at least (working from home 3 days a week). Incidentally this other house was also 90k cheaper...
    Couldn't you fix that fifteen minute walk from the supermarket by making it a five minute cycle? Or just getting deliveries?
  • pieroabcd
    RHemmings said:
    pieroabcd said:

Couldn't you fix that fifteen minute walk from the supermarket by making it a five minute cycle? Or just getting deliveries?
    Getting deliveries here is a matter of 4 days.
    Cycling no, I've had too many accidents in the past on my motorbikes.
    I'll have to be happy to just walk.
  • RHemmings
    pieroabcd said:
    RHemmings said:
    pieroabcd said:

I am surprised that you can't get deliveries within four days. I just checked where I am and I can easily book same day deliveries. What part of the country do you live in?

If you are accident prone then cycling could be an issue as you not only risk yourself, but put others at risk as well. 
  • pieroabcd
    edited 17 February at 9:36AM
    RHemmings said:
    pieroabcd said:
    RHemmings said:
    pieroabcd said:

I am surprised that you can't get deliveries within four days. I just checked where I am and I can easily book same day deliveries. What part of the country do you live in?

If you are accident prone then cycling could be an issue as you not only risk yourself, but put others at risk as well. 
    Havering.
    Every time that o tried there was no slot before 4 days.
    As for the accidents i've always been run over. I've never caused harm to anyone, but enough to stay away from the two wheels for the foreseeable future.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback