PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Going Cash

Comments

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Madbat60 said:
    I will walk out of premises that say card only.  I refuse to be dictated to by companies.  I get around £100 out of the bank weekly and buy food with that  and other bits and pieces.  It gives me better control over my spending.  I'm retired so I have time to  shop around.  I won't use my phone either.  I refuse to have credit card. I have a debit card for larger purchases.  I use cash abroad.   
    I don't understand this at all. Buying a larger purchase on a credit card affords protection that cash doesn't. If there's a problem, let the cc company deal with it.
    But Madbat60 does use a debit card for "larger purchases" and that does give some "voluntary" protection with charge back, unlike the Section 75 statutory protection with credit cards.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I use my Halifax clarity credit card when abroad. I think on our last holiday we spent less than 14 euros using cash.  I have a stash of 300 euros in my holiday purse. Which also has the clarity card in it.  First night back I pay the whole bill off. Works for us. 
  • Madbat60
    Madbat60 Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    @MattMattMattUK it's my money and I have a choice how I spend it.  You're missing the point about why I want to use cash, it gives me more control over my spending.  It's my choice.  I got out of crippling debt by using a cash pot.  I am now completely debt free including mortgage free at the age of 62.  I did that by watching every single penny.  I rarely shop online.  I spend my money in shops that take cash.  It's my choice.  I grew up in an era where my parents had nothing, I got into debt and I learnt the hard way.  When the cash is gone, there is no more spending.  Yes I do use my debit card, but I prefer cash.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 January at 11:00AM
    Madbat60 said:
    @ MattMattMattUK it's my money and I have a choice how I spend it. You're missing the point about why I want to use cash, it gives me more control over my spending.  It's my choice. 
    No one is denying that you have a choice what payment method you choose to use and I am not missing the point, but that choice does not make your position rational.
    Madbat60 said:
    I got out of crippling debt by using a cash pot.  I am now completely debt free including mortgage free at the age of 62.  I did that by watching every single penny.
    I also track how I spend every penny, not because I need to, but because I keep a very tight eye on my finances, I can analyse every part of my spend as it is fully digital, so you could also evaluate alternative methods.
    Madbat60 said:
    I rarely shop online.  I spend my money in shops that take cash.
    Those two things contradict wanting to watch every penny, shops that do not accept cash and/or buying online could well and often are cheaper than shops which only accept cash. 
    Madbat60 said:
    It's my choice.  I grew up in an era where my parents had nothing, I got into debt and I learnt the hard way.  When the cash is gone, there is no more spending.  Yes I do use my debit card, but I prefer cash.
    Again, no one is denying that it is your choice, but it is the way you are trying to portray it as a rational choice and some kind of moral crusade, with talk of boycotts, walking out, not being "dictated to" etc.

Many of us on here have been in debt at one point or another, I ran up debt in my late teens and early twenties and then worked 60-80 hours a week to pay it off, I am now debt averse and the only debt I would ever consider is mortgage debt, but using digital payment methods is irrelevant to that. I either control my spending or I do not, the payment method is irrelevant. Cash is expensive for businesses to use, quite a bit more expensive than cards, it is a dying method of payment, just the same as cheques or barter died out before it. By choosing to limit yourself to businesses that only use cash you will be increasing your costs and reducing your convenience, neither of those are very MSE.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 January at 12:43PM

Madbat60 said:
      just the same as cheques or barter died out before it.  
    Just to point out that cheques haven't died out.

I recently had a cheque from Swansea with refund from vehicle excise duty.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

Madbat60 said:
      just the same as cheques or barter died out before it.  
    Just to point out that cheques haven't died out.

I recently had a cheque from Swansea with refund from vehicle excise duty.
    Not entirely, but I think you would be very hard pressed to find a shop/retail operation that accepted them, one certainly not do their supermarket shop with them anymore. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure