PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Going Cash

Comments

•  

You're forgetting that generation were using cards and tech 20/30 years ago. It's not a new thing.
    credit cards came in   much longer ago than that!
     Barclay card  became the first credit card in the United Kingdom on 8 November 1967.

I am not sure how long ago chip & pin was almost replaced by the contactless facility. (Obviously not replaced if you are spending over £100)

The cashless society really came to the fore during the Covid epidemic because folk did not want to handle cash so suddenly everyone was using a card to buy the smallest purchase.
    I recall seeing cash machines with a sign on them "Cash is clean" and then further info explaining that all the notes had been cleaned before being put into the machine.  Don't know if that ever reassured anyone.

I use a mixture of cash and card. (not for the same purchase)

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I use both. I always have some cash to use for small purchases. I use a card for larger purchases. I also still occasionally use my cheque book! I've lived here 35 years and my milkmans always pushes a bill through the door approximately once a month or so (I only get 3 pints a week and top up inbetween with a couple of pints if I need to). I always leave a cheque in the bottle. Also my ground rent invoice comes twice a year, again I pay by cheque. I thought that they had changed this recently, but when I read further only people renting properties from this company could pay online, so I send a cheque in the post. I never really see cheques now
  • CapricornLass
    CapricornLass Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I use a mix of cash (mainly for small things, admittedly) and card.  I use the cash to make sure that  businesses still accept them because there are still a lot of people, many of them vulnerable, who work mainly in cash.

I think the only people who routinely use cheques a lot is HMRC! Though even they are now allowing payment to be made by bank transfer instead
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think a person's age has a lot to do with the answers we are getting. Young people seem to only want a card society. Older people are afraid of a card only society. I wonder if a study has been done on how this card society affects charity giving as some of the answers sound like they don't give anything away to others. I see a card only society becoming very self-centered and lacking in empathy and it worries me.
    It was the larger charities which drove the shift from cash to card. They don't want to be having to have people on the street getting one off cash payments. They want people signing up to continuous payments and direct debits to keep the money rolling in.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 January at 1:25AM
    I pretty much stopped using cash years ago when I was travelling a lot for work and using a different currency every few days. So work credit card or personal credit card and that was it - it turns out that most people who said they didn't take cards did when the option was that I'd give them a miss. A US colleague said that when offered 'card with a tip, or cash with no tip' suddenly they took cards. Likewise a taxi driver in Frankfurt who changed his mind at midnight about taking cards realised that I'd asked the question before we left because I didn't have cash (I'd flown in from Stockholm via Zurich for an 12 hour visit) and was suddenly able to take a card - he didn't get a tip as I was so fed up and exhausted and very unhappy about the delay in checking into the hotel!

Spending a lot of time in Sweden, it was interesting to find out that robberies from and attacks on taxi drivers reduced dramatically when they went cashless. 

As for the CO2 impact - the latest data says that the carbon impact of endpoint devices is larger than that of the datacenters/cloud services processing and storing the data. But bear in mind that most of those endpoints are business devices. Consumer mobile phones (which tend to have a longer life than business devices) are a very small part of the problem (and you'd probably have one regardless of whether you use it for spending). 

I find electronic payments give me more control than cash - I get alerts for every payment that I make. As for the generational issue, my mum is in her 80s and prefers online banking and electronic payments as it makes it easier for her to see exactly where her money has gone. 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    greenbee said:
    I pretty much stopped using cash years ago when I was travelling a lot for work and using a different currency every few days. So work credit card or personal credit card and that was it - it turns out that most people who said they didn't take cards did when the option was that I'd give them a miss. A US colleague said that when offered 'card with a tip, or cash with no tip' suddenly they took cards. Likewise a taxi driver in Frankfurt who changed his mind at midnight about taking cards realised that I'd asked the question before we left because I didn't have cash (I'd flown in from Stockholm via Zurich for an 12 hour visit) and was suddenly able to take a card - he didn't get a tip as I was so fed up and exhausted and very unhappy about the delay in checking into the hotel!

Spending a lot of time in Sweden, it was interesting to find out that robberies from and attacks on taxi drivers reduced dramatically when they went cash only. 

As for the CO2 impact - the latest data says that the carbon impact of endpoint devices is larger than that of the datacenters/cloud services processing and storing the data. But bear in mind that most of those endpoints are business devices. Consumer mobile phones (which tend to have a longer life than business devices) are a very small part of the problem (and you'd probably have one regardless of whether you use it for spending). 

I find electronic payments give me more control than cash - I get alerts for every payment that I make. As for the generational issue, my mum is in her 80s and prefers online banking and electronic payments as it makes it easier for her to see exactly where her money has gone. 
    Do you mean card only?
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    greenbee said:

Spending a lot of time in Sweden, it was interesting to find out that robberies from and attacks on taxi drivers reduced dramatically when they went cash only. 

Do you mean card only?
    Yes! Will edit 😂
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mumf said:
    When my wife took me to hospital for my regular MRI scan,we parked on the car park that takes only cash payments. No problem to us,as we keep plenty in the motor. One chap though couldn’t pay,as he uses only his phone! My wife ,being the kind person she is,paid his parking. 
    My local hospital takes cash and cards for parking payment. I am so glad of the card option, as having to get hubby to A&E in the early hours and stay in the carpark for over 12 hours, the cash I had on me wouldn't have covered the cost as it was expensive but hubbys need was as such it was worth paying. Thankfully I could use my card to get us out of the carpark. The payment machines only take coins not notes .. So if you need to be there for an extended amount of time you need to pay by card.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure