PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Going Cash

Comments

• kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 January at 2:40AM
    I must be living in another world, an ice cream van only accepting card, unbelievable ! Perhaps that says something about the economic divide.

As I said at the beginning I was going cash only (as far as possible) to try and see if I can live the same lifestyle just dealing with cash; after all this is a money saving forum.

Yes, I’ll be the first to admit I’ve popped into my local shop and paid for a carton of milk by card, I’ve bought a cup of coffee and paid by card.

Will it work out for me? I don’t honestly know; there is one occasion already where I had to use my phone and that’s when I left my wallet in another jacket. One up to the card brigade 🤓

Living in a rural area I’m well aware of how important our banks are, three have closed already. Go to a supermarket and checkout is a faceless machine just waiting to take your cash. Even though I have to wait much longer than if I’d used the machine I make it a point of wait in line for a real person. How many workers can a cash machine replace? 
    We have a large number of independent shops who have to take cards to survive. How much is that setting them back? How much does the card company take for that carton of milk?

• We prefer cash.  Having an amount in my purse before shopping already makes it easier to visually see what we have left after making the purchase. Also it does make us consider if we really need something.  I asked my friends and family members if they had the cash in their purse/wallet would they think twice before spending it? And the answer was yes, however when I asked them about using their card/tap to pay for said items, they did say that these purchases are never really considered and that they just tap.  I think that I appreciate having a tin/envelope of money that I add to each week for say Christmas, birthdays and treats etc and any household expenses, window cleaner, vet bills, food shop as a budgeting tool that works for me.  It makes me take responsibility of my spending before I spend it and it can prevent debt.  I also prefer to have the choice of how I spend my money.  
  • ChooseLife
    ChooseLife Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic
    It used to be said that cash was King.......sadly doesn't appear to be that way anymore as we're heading towards a cashless society.  I must admit, I mainly use my debit card just because it's more convenient and i'm too lazy to go and withdraw cash.  I only really use cash when I need to, which is rare.  I do like to have the option.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 11 January at 1:33PM
    I'm predominantly non-cash with 2 exceptions - my hairdresser and the car wash. £40 a month from a cash point covers both of those, with change going into a jar that is banked when full.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    kah22 said:
    I must be living in another world, an ice cream van only accepting card, unbelievable ! Perhaps that says something about the economic divide.

As I said at the beginning I was going cash only (as far as possible) to try and see if I can live the same lifestyle just dealing with cash; after all this is a money saving forum.

Yes, I’ll be the first to admit I’ve popped into my local shop and paid for a carton of milk by card, I’ve bought a cup of coffee and paid by card.

Will it work out for me? I don’t honestly know; there is one occasion already where I had to use my phone and that’s when I left my wallet in another jacket. One up to the card brigade 🤓

Living in a rural area I’m well aware of how important our banks are, three have closed already. Go to a supermarket and checkout is a faceless machine just waiting to take your cash. Even though I have to wait much longer than if I’d used the machine I make it a point of wait in line for a real person. How many workers can a cash machine replace? 
    We have a large number of independent shops who have to take cards to survive. How much is that setting them back? How much does the card company take for that carton of milk?

As a committed cashless person, let me share my last experience of a bank.

I waited next in line for over 20 minutes during what was supposed to be a short lunch break behind a lonely individual who wanted to chat to the single cashier about anything and everything apart from his money. It put her in an awkward position and she was polite, but never once did she say "there's a long queue waiting, how can I help with your banking?" or words to that effect. The eye-rolling in the queue was justifiable and I was itching to interrupt and ask if any other colleagues were available. I do understand that people need a social safety-net, but its not the primary function of branch banking to provide that.

Why did I need the bank on that occasion? Because the car park I had used over several nights was cash-only, as the app and card reader were down. Why did I have to queue? Because the machine only accepted coins, no notes. £1 coins might have been king on that occasion but I was doubly irritated by the inconvenience, esp as the walk to locate it and return was 3 miles long.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,313 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It used to be said that cash was King.......sadly doesn't appear to be that way anymore as we're heading towards a cashless society.  I must admit, I mainly use my debit card just because it's more convenient and i'm too lazy to go and withdraw cash.  I only really use cash when I need to, which is rare.  I do like to have the option.
    Cash is King originates from business/investments rather than the idea that paying in cash is somehow better than using a credit card or such. In business it's very much true and you get plenty of insolvencies where the company has valuable assets on its balance sheet but they are illiquid and so they cannot afford their payroll or other contractual liabilities. 

It morphed across into talking about payment methods later but not sure it was ever really true. Remember in the mid 90s my mother speaking to a car salesman, negotiating a price and then asking "how much if I pay cash?", she got a confused look and an explanation that they don't want cash, the price quoted was for debit card but if she wants finance they could do a better deal. 
  • Cashmygiro
    Cashmygiro Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 12 January at 10:02AM
    I use a mixture of cash and card but mostly card. Can't stand the "cash is king" mob who think the govt are watching their every card transaction. Also it's not the banks or shops responsibility to humour old folk with a human checkout operator just because it "might be the only person they speak to" - there are services out there for lonely old folk and not everyone has time to just wait in a queue.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    I think a person's age has a lot to do with the answers we are getting. Young people seem to only want a card society. Older people are afraid of a card only society. I wonder if a study has been done on how this card society affects charity giving as some of the answers sound like they don't give anything away to others. I see a card only society becoming very self-centered and lacking in empathy and it worries me.
    Well I am by no means young but something that I will never forget being told as a young child is that "the Queen never carries cash". This undoubtedly shaped my habits.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family