PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Going Cash

1121314151618»

Comments

• kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    mumf said:
    What an interesting topic *cash* is. For a start,those who don’t *like* cash, if they were given an inheritance of cash in a sack,I’ll bet they they wouldn’t criticise it then! 🤣.
      Up until six years ago ,my work traditionally paid in cash. For forty years,my cash was normal income- and weekly too! Of course,as time moved on we had to bank some each week as trend moved towards that system. 
      The last six years of employment meant monthly income for me ( normal for my wife) ,but our economy is based still on weekly outgoing ( pretty much). Not a bad way,as now I am seriously ill,my benefits are paid both monthly and weekly! 🤣
      Most of our outgoings now are obviously via the bank,but each week my wife draws a certain amount of cash,and that’s our ( main) spending money. I keep a tidy little stash too. Last week we needed our local locksmith to fix our back door. ( I’m not fit enough nowadays) . Cash  or card? Cash!  10% discount. Aaay thank yo! 😃. 
      I can truly say I will continue with my cash stash until I die! 👍
    With you all the way
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    It is discrimination against those who can't afford a phone or who don't have a credit or debit card. They are being left out of society completely. I even feel left out because I don't currently have a cell phone and can't afford it either. I stay home a lot instead.

There has been, for many years, a digital divide where those who can access newer technologies have benefited in some way more so than those who can't. 

What do you feel left out from by not having a mobile phone?
    It would seem unlikely that someone with a computer of some sort or other would not have a mobile
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Using a card would have been even clumsier at the stalls - or you would have used it.

They didn't take cards, as I said it was a pop up stall. 
    Really would not have been clumsy a quick tap. But I respect that everyone has a choice.

• JIL
    Being paid in cash, how would that actually work? 

So I work with 270 others and we get paid monthly.  I dont think I need to say anymore....

Things have moved on. Do what suits you, there isnt a right or wrong way. 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    mumf said:
    What an interesting topic *cash* is. For a start,those who don’t *like* cash, if they were given an inheritance of cash in a sack,I’ll bet they they wouldn’t criticise it then! 🤣.
    That is a pointless analogy, just as those who are anti-card or anti-online banking would not turn down a pre-paid card or bank transfer. People are not going to turn down free money even if the method of delivery is outdated and clumsy, adding to that they would just pay it into a bank account and then spend it normally.
    mumf said:
    Most of our outgoings now are obviously via the bank,but each week my wife draws a certain amount of cash,and that’s our ( main) spending money.
    You could much more easily cut out the intermediate step of cash and spend on card, ideally getting cashback in the process. 
    mumf said:
    Last week we needed our local locksmith to fix our back door. ( I’m not fit enough nowadays) . Cash  or card? Cash!  10% discount. Aaay thank yo! 😃. 
    Ah, a high probability of good old tax evasion, it is an odd mix, some kind of moral superiority tied with potential criminality. 
    I like your turn of phrase!! :D
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • JIL
    mumf said:

Is this actually possible? I dont think so. 

Its dodgy to say the least and an air of dishonesty about it. 

• mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I won’t bother here again. It appears that many consider cash to be almost criminal! 
      Give it time,and government will know everything you have,everything you spend,and can lock you down. 
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    mumf said:
    I won’t bother here again.
    OK, bye.
    mumf said:
    It appears that many consider cash to be almost criminal! 
    Yet another straw man. People do not consider cash criminal in itself, but it is often used to facilitate tax evasion which is criminal, especially when tradespeople offer discounts for paying with it.
    mumf said:
      Give it time,and government will know everything you have,everything you spend,and can lock you down. 
    The idea that "the government" has the resources or the will to continually access everyone's financial records, analyse them and then decide what they can and cannot spend on in conspiracy theory rubbish. 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    mumf said:
    I won’t bother here again. It appears that many consider cash to be almost criminal! 

Its sad that you have taken the comments that way. Can't we agree to disagree, horses for courses and all that? After all, we're all here to be efficient with our money, whatever guise it comes in. The key is that there is flexibility - as soon as any one platform has a monopoly then we really are in trouble.

No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family