PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Going Cash

Comments

• Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    kah22 said:
    I must be living in another world, an ice cream van only accepting card, unbelievable ! Perhaps that says something about the economic divide.
    Ice cream from a van / the freezer in a convenience store is no longer the cheap kiddie's treat it once was! 
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Cashmygiro
    Cashmygiro Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post
    I think a person's age has a lot to do with the answers we are getting. Young people seem to only want a card society. Older people are afraid of a card only society. I wonder if a study has been done on how this card society affects charity giving as some of the answers sound like they don't give anything away to others. I see a card only society becoming very self-centered and lacking in empathy and it worries me.
    Where do you get that from that the old like cash and the young like cards? How old? I know plenty in their 60s and 70s who use cards along with modern tech such as smart phones, tablets, computers, etc.

You're forgetting that generation were using cards and tech 20/30 years ago. It's not a new thing.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 January at 12:48PM

You're forgetting that generation were using cards and tech 20/30 years ago. It's not a new thing.
    credit cards came in   much longer ago than that!
     Barclay card  became the first credit card in the United Kingdom on 8 November 1967.

I am not sure how long ago chip & pin was almost replaced by the contactless facility. (Obviously not replaced if you are spending over £100)

The cashless society really came to the fore during the Covid epidemic because folk did not want to handle cash so suddenly everyone was using a card to buy the smallest purchase.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,27pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=161 £86 spent!!!
  • tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Our local Big Issue seller accepts cards. He tells me most people pay with card.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 January at 7:25PM
    My daughter and my nieces and nephews, very rarely have cash. However I am more than aware of how much time, money and effort they put into charity work.

Not carrying cash does not make them self centred or lacking in empathy.  In fact it's now not just loose change that goes to charity but £5, £10, £20. Plus the reclaimed tax at 25%.
    I would think that's a big chunk out of your purse/wallet/pocket if you were donating cash. 
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JIL said:
    My daughter and my nieces and nephews, very rarely have cash. However I am more than aware of how much time, money and effort they put into charity work.

Not carrying cash does not make them self centred or lacking in empathy.  In fact it's now not just loose change that goes to charity but £5, £10, £20. Plus the reclaimed tax at 25%.
    I would think that's a big chunk out of your purse/wallet/pocket if you were donating cash. 
    As an aside, charities can claim the gift aid on cash donations (even on anonymous single donations of up to £30).
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    JIL said:

As an aside, charities can claim the gift aid on cash donations (even on anonymous single donations of up to £30).
    I couldn't think of the word, I did mean gift aid, I always tick I'm a tax payer. I didnt know charities could claim on anonymous donations. 
  • Cashmygiro
    Cashmygiro Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post
    I get using cash for a bottle of milk and a paper from the corner shop, but it's just counter productive, stupid even, to draw out £50 from a cash machine then drive to the petrol station to fill up the car with £50 of fuel. Just use my card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure