We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The ups, the downs and the insides out of growing your own in 2024!

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    De-lurking to ask if anyone knows when Lidl will start stocking seeds this year please?
    If you're sharpish, T & M, Fothergills & Browns have free  P & P this weekend.
    I know 'cos I just bought some, T & M have some seeds at 89p, so easier & cheaper than Lidl inc free P & P

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,672 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Farway said:
    De-lurking to ask if anyone knows when Lidl will start stocking seeds this year please?
    I know 'cos I just bought some, T & M have some seeds at 89p, so easier & cheaper than Lidl inc free P & P

Why Farway! Why! 
    Dammit - guess ill be having a nose on there in a minute then. Although I think besides potato seeds and onion sets - I have all my seeds.......but sure I need something else - the site will tell me I'm sure.........

Has anyone ordered potatoes online anywhere? I use to get ours from our local Wilkos but thats shut down now so Im a bit stumped where to get them. 
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 28 January at 6:14PM
    Options
    Farway said:

Why Farway! Why! 
    Dammit - guess ill be having a nose on there in a minute then. Although I think besides potato seeds and onion sets - I have all my seeds.......but sure I need something else - the site will tell me I'm sure.........

Has anyone ordered potatoes online anywhere? I use to get ours from our local Wilkos but thats shut down now so Im a bit stumped where to get them. 
    Topcashback are also claiming to give 6% cashback and have some codes for above 60 and above 100 spends (should anything catch you eye). 

I believe you can only use one code at a time and cashback is not guaranteed to track. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @sammy_kaye18 @KajiKita I've ordered my seed potatoes from Potato House. They have a lot of varieties to choose from and you can schedule delivery. I've ordered scab resistant (had problems past two years) varieties this year; Charlotte, Jazzy, Record, King Edward and Maris Pipers. We lost most of our main crop to slugs in 2023.

Still no sign of my garlic, but the onion seeds I sowed in heated propagators on the conservatory windowsill are coming through. Redrover making a good showing, with Red Baron to follow. Figured I'd try a mixture of seeds and sets this year.

I have managed a productive few hours at the allotment this weekend. OH did indeed fetch me a pallet collar, so three of the raspberry canes are now permanently housed. I have two "spare" which I may or may not keep. I need to pick up a bag of bark at some point to top that off. We used left over compost from a bulk delivery we'd had to the house last year, and then half of the soil from the raised bed that held the sweetcorn last year. Will have to top that bed up again at some point, but we don't need it for a while. I've also put my duo plum tree (two varieties grafted onto the rootstock) into a permanent home on the banking. I used a scavenged scaffold board, with some metal stake type things, to support some top soil; the banking is heavy clay so it needed building up a bit.

We still have two hedgehog visitors; I believe the two I named Tweedledee and Tweedledum. Not that I can recognise any of them, though, except the one we called Chonk because it was huge compared to the rest (haven't seen him/her in a couple of months now). The fox(es) have also returned and I did the RSPB birdwatch today.
  • ladybird1106
    ladybird1106 Posts: 322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spent a couple of hours separating lettuce seeds from the heads which I dried last year.
    Love 🐞
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks @DD265. I’ve ended up buying some today from the local garden centre. But will bookmark that supplier for next year 😊

KK
    As at 15.04.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £253,994, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 16 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 6th May)
    Produce tracker: £25.45 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • kiss_me_now9
    kiss_me_now9 Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all, I am determined to make this year a good growing year. Last year was a write off as we had a newborn and absolutely no time or energy to garden (though did manage to get some courgettes, squash, tomatoes and beans in the ground - barely any produce off them though). 

I plan to do no dig this year and am sourcing as much plain cardboard as I can. Our soil is awful, really heavy clay and I am fed up of breaking my back trying to get the clumps out to make it plantable. Hoping that this solves that problem and maybe makes it easier in years to come. 

The greenhouse unfortunately has been completely ignored since August last year and now has some... ahhm.. very mouldy plants in it. I need to get in there and clear it out but it's tricky as I've been so busy doing a local panto my weekends have been completely filled, and I can't guarantee LO will stay asleep long enough to do it during his nap times. OH has been very busy at weekends either looking after LO when I'm out at rehearsals or doing things he actually enjoys like running. 

I did manage to plant some garlic in late October, which is growing nicely. I'm considering shallots this year and maybe just one or two types of courgette. Probably won't bother with squash as it never ripens and we only get tiny ones (I think they don't get enough sun). I'd love to do tomatoes and cucumber in the green house again but it is such a state at the moment. 

Other than that... I'm a bit lost. We're vegetarian so eat most vegetables but I always end up growing the same things and I'd love to try something new. South facing garden but there's a huge (and I mean huge) fir tree in our right hand neighbours garden that covers the sun most of the day - the sunniest spot is where the green house is and that gets sun around 70% of the day in summer. We've got a medium sized veg plot at the back and were trying to make some new ones in front of it but as I'm planning to do no dig I could expand this very easily. I'd like to try carrots but because the soil is so tough they never grow well. Have done potatoes in the past but find them a bit of a pain to keep earthing up and I'd prefer a patch that is largely low maintenance. 
    £2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Other than that... I'm a bit lost. We're vegetarian so eat most vegetables but I always end up growing the same things and I'd love to try something new. South facing garden but there's a huge (and I mean huge) fir tree in our right hand neighbours garden that covers the sun most of the day - the sunniest spot is where the green house is and that gets sun around 70% of the day in summer. We've got a medium sized veg plot at the back and were trying to make some new ones in front of it but as I'm planning to do no dig I could expand this very easily. I'd like to try carrots but because the soil is so tough they never grow well. Have done potatoes in the past but find them a bit of a pain to keep earthing up and I'd prefer a patch that is largely low maintenance. 
    You don't mention fruit, sounds like you have space for some. 
    How about some apple trees? Mini orchard kind of thing. Trained blackberries, thornless type for the LO on surrounding fences, shade not a major problem with those.
    Good old rhubarb, of course

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    @kiss_me_now9, the greenhouse will come back with one morning’s focused effort, to clear it out and give it a scrub with a hose and a soft hand brush. Top dress with fresh compost. After that, buy young plants from a garden centre, grown them on a bit inside and then pant out late May. 
    Well done on the garlic 😊👏
    Shallots are pretty bomb proof - just keep them weeded and reasonably well watered 😊
    Have you come across Charles Dowding’s books for no-dig? 😊

KK
    As at 15.04.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £253,994, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 16 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 6th May)
    Produce tracker: £25.45 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback