We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The ups, the downs and the insides out of growing your own in 2024!

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
     the sprouting broccoli went straight to seed.  I've saved the seed to see if I have better luck next year. 

I think it's always best to save seed that has the characteristics you want, so in this case maybe buy fresh seed?

My Real Seed order came today. I'd forgotten I'd ordered a really early bush tomato so it will be interesting.. I also have some PSB as well, which I think I had some seed for but ordered fresh anyway. I need to get down the allotment this week, I believe there may be one or two dry days!

Thanks @Suffolk_lass for the pesto suggestion: I've used carrot tops similarly, but they were not something that particularly inspired. Hopefully my raised beds will be narrow enough for a few years yet: late 60s but play in goal for my ladies football team so keeping a bit of flexibility and an affinity with mud this winter..
  • ladybird1106
    ladybird1106 Posts: 322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can use nasturtiums leaves to make pesto. We add some of flowers to add colour. 
    Love 🐞
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure